CW203D Cold Water Drag Question

10 hours ago, Fishbowl836 said:

Upgraded to the CW203D Cold Water Reels this year and was wondering why people are replacing the new drags with Drag Master drag sets? 

Because the Drag Master upgrade is nothing short of amazing for all reels (not just Okuma).

• 1 month later...

Got twelve cold water reels on my boat. Like the reel but drag sucks. That is from very time i bought them. Cant' back off drag with a big fish running . Got to crank reel a bit then you can back off the drag. It seems Okuma has still not corrected the problem. Should not have to have all of these drags updated on my dime. Just saying. Got to call company i guess. Want to buy some more but not unless problem is corrected.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 11:02 AM, Fishgrappler said:

Is it easy to install to the Dragmaster washers?

I thought it was pretty straightforward when I did it on my old Magda reels. Just get yourself a good size area to work and layout everything in the order that you take it off. I took a bunch of pictures along the way just in case I needed something to refer back to. There's a couple helpful videos on YouTube showing the process and having a parts diagram on hand (easy to find online) can't hurt. 

I remember reading a big write up on facebook from Rochester Reel Repair about changing the orientation of 3 curved washers, that supposedly solved the problem ppl had with needing to fully disengage the drag and then re-tighten to make adjustments. I think someone even posted the write up on here as well. Its maybe 1-2 years old now and depending on how old your reels are they may or may not have that issue. But you will be removing those washers during the swap so its something to check while your right there.

I just bought my first Okuma Reels, 553LS for 300 copper setup, I wasn’t aware of this drag issue. You guys think I should proactively get the drags upgraded or is there a chance they’ve corrected? Hate to find out it’s not with a big fish on the line.

I normally run Shimano or Daiwa but seemed like everything in the larger sizes was sold out or discontinued. I wanted that high speed Daiwa Saltist but was told it’s discontinued.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, ErieBuck said:

I just bought my first Okuma Reels, 553LS for 300 copper setup, I wasn’t aware of this drag issue. You guys think I should proactively get the drags upgraded or is there a chance they’ve corrected? Hate to find out it’s not with a big fish on the line.

I normally run Shimano or Daiwa but seemed like everything in the larger sizes was sold out or discontinued. I wanted that high speed Daiwa Saltist but was told it’s discontinued.

From all the things I've read these drag washers improve the drag on any reel. I'm going to install them on my Okuma Cold Waters.

On 5/26/2021 at 1:48 PM, ErieBuck said:

I may as well do the same!  Let me know how it goes.  Where are you ordering from?

I ordered them from Ebay because they had free 3 day shipping. The prices all were close from there and the stores that had them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you clean the thick, sticky factory grease from the entire drag stack including the main drive gear and relube everything with Cal’s drag grease and also reorient the spring washers otherwise you won’t be happy even with the new drag washers. Let me know if you have questions.

Brian
Rochester Reel Repair

• Like 1

Make sure you clean the thick, sticky factory grease from the entire drag stack including the main drive gear and relube everything with Cal’s drag grease and also reorient the spring washers otherwise you won’t be happy even with the new drag washers. Let me know if you have questions.

Brian
Rochester Reel Repair

Thanks very much for the info Brian

Brian
Rochester Reel Repair

reorient the spring washers?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

reorient the spring washers?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If there are 3 spring washers, reorient then from all alternating to only 2 alternating.

From )() to (()

There are more details on the relevant post on my Rochester Reel Repair Facebook page.

This applies to most of the CW203, 303, and 453. The 553 only has two spring washers.

• Like 2

I checked out your Facebook page last night and couldn't find it but then again since I turned 60 Im lucky to remember my name.  Thanks for getting back to me now I have like 15 reels to change Have a great day

I checked out your Facebook page last night and couldn't find it but then again since I turned 60 Im lucky to remember my name.  Thanks for getting back to me now I have like 15 reels to change Have a great day

Call me if you have any issues or questions. 585-455-1792