First trip planned for the end of the month, where to go?

I was wanting to make my first trip to Lake O before now but from all reports I have received the fishing has been off so far this season. I am planning of a 3 day trip the end of the month somewhere from Sodas to Henderson. I have a 20' Duckworth I will bring from Maine. So is there any indication the fishing will improve or is that the million dollar question? I spoke to a charter captain two days ago that said its the worst year for browns he has ever seen.

It seems odd to me considering the lack of fishing pressure the south shore got last spring due to Covid restrictions. Seems like the fish that did not get caught last spring would have made for a better then normal spring this year. 

So where would be the best area for me to consider starting in 10 days from now?

Thanks

Edited by Scalloper 1

2 minutes ago, Scalloper 1 said:

Good to know. If I am going to drive 12 hrs i may as well go further. How far should I consider?

Thanks

I'm headed to Olcott tomorrow for the rest of the week, I hear they are catching a decent number of salmon in the Niagara bar area lately. idk where to go for browns but further west you go the better the chances of finding salmon right now IMO.  

• Like 1

Tons of marks at the bar yesterday around 60-100ft, had a hard time getting bites though, mornings seem best, just not able to get there early myself, managed a few shakers and a small king. Did better on Thursday with a nice mature, a 2yr and a small king in a few hours.

Niagara bar is nice if weather is bad as well because you can fish the Niagara river for some large walleye near red clay wall or if river is really bad (uncommon) you can see the fort, visit the American side of Niagara falls for not toooo far of a drive. River makes for a nice boat ride if nothing else. Something I've resorted to more than once when weather was questionable or if I've had little ones with me.

May and June can bring wind/storms, so it's nice to have a bad weather day backup plan close by when you're time constrained.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Lightbringer said:

Tons of marks at the bar yesterday around 60-100ft, had a hard time getting bites though, mornings seem best, just not able to get there early myself, managed a few shakers and a small king. Did better on Thursday with a nice mature, a 2yr and a small king in a few hours.

Niagara bar is nice if weather is bad as well because you can fish the Niagara river for some large walleye near red clay wall or if river is really bad (uncommon) you can see the fort, visit the American side of Niagara falls for not toooo far of a drive. River makes for a nice boat ride if nothing else. Something I've resorted to more than once when weather was questionable or if I've had little ones with me.

May and June can bring wind/storms, so it's nice to have a bad weather day backup plan close by when you're time constrained.

Thank you very much. I had over looked all of the above suggestions. I may bring my wife and both of us would enjoy seeing the falls. Also, walleye is a species that is on my list. Being from Maine I have never seen one. I have made up my mind, if I go to LO in two weeks I will try the Bar.

• Like 1

Glad to help! Enjoy the area, it has a lot to offer. Escarpment is pretty cool, but you've got Acadia so close by, I'm not sure there's much contesting that.

Walleye can be had on nearby erie as well. Smaller ones near windmills and CA line out of small boat harbor / erie basin marina, larger about an hour away out of Cattaraugus- sometimes one lake is whipped up and the other isn't too bad, depends on wind. Good perch fishing too.

Wherever you end up, be very careful with Canadian border waters. They're on lockdown - boating included, and they take the border shutdown very seriously

Thank you very much. I had over looked all of the above suggestions. I may bring my wife and both of us would enjoy seeing the falls. Also, walleye is a species that is on my list. Being from Maine I have never seen one. I have made up my mind, if I go to LO in two weeks I will try the Bar.

• Like 1

Fish are and will be heading west.
From what I understand, Rick would know better than me, Kings are now being caught off the Oak. Couple weeks could make a big difference.
I’ll be off Braddocks in the am and will post a report if I find out anything worth reporting.
Either way it will be nice just to get out on what looks like a beautiful day.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Fish are and will be heading west.
From what I understand, Rick would know better than me, Kings are now being caught off the Oak. Couple weeks could make a big difference.
I’ll be off Braddocks in the am and will post a report if I find out anything worth reporting.
Either way it will be nice just to get out on what looks like a beautiful day.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

oops you meant east

On 5/18/2021 at 3:56 AM, Scalloper 1 said:

I was wanting to make my first trip to Lake O before now but from all reports I have received the fishing has been off so far this season. I am planning of a 3 day trip the end of the month somewhere from Sodas to Henderson. I have a 20' Duckworth I will bring from Maine. So is there any indication the fishing will improve or is that the million dollar question? I spoke to a charter captain two days ago that said its the worst year for browns he has ever seen.

It seems odd to me considering the lack of fishing pressure the south shore got last spring due to Covid restrictions. Seems like the fish that did not get caught last spring would have made for a better then normal spring this year. 

So where would be the best area for me to consider starting in 10 days from now?

Thanks

Great boat!  I run a 20’ welded Alumaweld Intruder!   I prefer the Bar first two weeks of May. Fishing can be just plain stupid....  then again you get a hard northeast wind it will be a ghost town. Lol.  I like Oswego the last two weeks of July.  This year I am going to fish out of Port Bay July 9-19   Fleas get bad mid July at times...  most likely a whole new ballgame for you. Booking a reputable charter is well worth the $$.   If you are only coming for 3 days leave the boat home and go with charter.   Might not even get out of port with a 20’. 

Edited by hairbone