Merc 5.0 Remanufactured

Looks like I may be headed towards a rebuild/remanufactured on my starboard engine. Mechanic recommends Jasper. Reviews are all over the place. Some say they used to have a lot of problems but have become much better in the past few years. Anybody have any recent experience with Jasper?  Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance. 

Looks like I may be headed towards a rebuild/remanufactured on my starboard engine. Mechanic recommends Jasper. Reviews are all over the place. Some say they used to have a lot of problems but have become much better in the past few years. Anybody have any recent experience with Jasper?  Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance. 

Don’t know if this helps any. Friend of mine ran a service station for 40 years.When the block cracked on one of my cars he recommended Jasper engines. He said top shelf motors and blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

MichiganMotorz.com would be my choice. I have heard so many mixed reviews on Jaspers that I would not use them. I am sure they have sold quite a few that has no issues. Friend recently picked up two 502s from them , Michigan, and is extremely happy with the outcome.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

I just did my 1986 with Michigan Motorz and not only is their work very good, but they will do good follow up.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

From past overall experiences I would steer clear of Jasper. There are several very good company's that deal strictly with marine rebuilds and/or new long block assembly's, one being the for mentioned Michigan Motorz  & another is Marine Engines Inc. out of Mass. If your going that way I would both consider the difference in price between a new vs rebuilt long block & also stepping up to a 5.7 over the 5.0 while your at it.

X 2 on the 5.7 , exact block . The only thing might be getting your throttle controls parallel and you might be under pitched a little bit on that side. If you think.your going to be replacing the other engine in the next few years then yes go that route. If not then I might stick with the 5.0s if I was happy with my current cruise and or top end speed. 

Like the 5.0s. Get on plane fine and don’t have to use bags to slow down enough to troll. Talked to guys with same boat with the 5.7s and they have to use bags. Looks like new valves and gasket is all I need.  I think they are going to refurb the heads too. Cylinders and everything are in good shape.  I really appreciate all the feedback.