Evaluation of hunting land for selling purpose

Duckman1

20210911_111507_HDR.thumb.jpg.8afc3f4e11599e44cb057937563b8a1d.jpg20210911_111514.thumb.jpg.e3cf25e25b511377338a2a3a6b068165.jpg20210911_111507_HDR.thumb.jpg.8afc3f4e11599e44cb057937563b8a1d.jpgI am looking for someone to give me a idea what my property is worth. It is in kendal ny. 18.7 acres taxes are about $1300 a yr. 10 aces thick woods and the rest scrub brush. There is a 30 fruit trees that are all fenced in with irrigation to drain water. These are young 4-6 yr old. Apple, pear, and plum

Iv owned this for over 20yrs. This area is know for large bucks. Every yr me or boardering property owner kill a 140+ usually 2 and some even bigger. I will add pictures soon

20210911_111643_HDR.jpg

20210911_111714.jpg

20210911_112542.jpg

20210911_112535.jpg

20210911_112501.jpg

20210911_112313_HDR.jpg

20210911_112229_HDR.jpg

20210911_112148_HDR.jpg

Edited by Duckman1
Pictures

Duckman,

I wanted to pass my experience selling a 90 acre woodlot that I'd owned and hunted for 30 years. I did so because I had moved 100 miles away and thought I'd pick up something closer to new home if it sold.

I used a realtor who specialized in hunting properties and found a buyer in a relatively short time and closed. What I did wrong is that I didn't realize what the costs would be per acre to replace it in the new area. I say costs because there are really two: the cost per acre for the purchase and what the new PROPERTY TAXES would be.

I had owned my propery for 30 years, and my assessment was pretty antiquated. Good for me. A new assessment on a new property will be based on your purchase price. In my case, the would have at least tripled the tax bill on a similar propery here. Additionally, larger tracts go for really good money. I couldn't justify it, and have decidied to lease instead.

Here's my point: Decent woods are hard to find. Add to that how much you know about how to successfully hunt your existing property. Think real hard before you give that up. Or consider leasing it for a while to other hunters until you are positive.

Off point, I know and apoligize. There may be others reading this in a similar boat.

Prof

• Like 1

I'd say if you pull 140s+ then it's worth 140k+   

I know guys that own and pay taxes on 200ac that have never seen a buck over 140" in 20yrs of hunting due to poor neighborhood management..  a small chunk that holds produces quality mature bucks is priceless if you can provide a solid trail cam and harvest history.

Edited by HOLY DIVER

My two cents; lots of this sort will be a hotter commodity in the future. Someone who doesn't hunt will find as much added value as a hunter for many increasingly obvious reasons. So, advertising it as a place for respite, or homesteading, or as a store of value will be as equally appealing to some as those pictures of bucks is to a hunter. I'm way up in the north country of NY and the days of a $1000 an acre are pretty much gone. 11 acres of hay field just went for 33,000 near me. I wished to have it, and thought I'll just wait him out, but it sold quickly to an out of stater, which really puzzled me, because who the heck is trying to move to NY lol. Wood lots with the potential for timber harvesting/management is a great little passive income additive too. In that neck of the woods you got a lot of buffalo/rochester eyeballs shopping for that opportunity of fresh air too. I think Prof in the above post makes great points. Lease that land for passive income would be smart. Guys with buck fever will pay more than the yearly taxes. With markets being as wobbly as they are, smart investors know land prices dont fall off a cliff like stock prices can. I'd start at 5k an acre personally, but would entertain leasing it first.  

Edited by McWally

One thing to consider…. These days it is easy to sell things without a broker involved….  One thought would be to pick a number that would make you happy..  if that is $65k, add $5k to it and put it on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace..  even if you get the $65k you want, you are further ahead and don’t have to pay an agent 6%..  try it for 2 weeks and if it doesn’t work then Turn it over to an agent..   like someone else said, there are not a lot of properties around where you get 140+ deer consistently..  

I have bought and sold a quite a few properties over the years and there’s quite a few factors involved in hunting land valuation. Certainly shooting 140” bucks is going to increase your valuation but in no way is it going to double of triple your price per acre. It means something emotional to you, but it doesn’t necessarily equate to huge increases in valuation. Here’s a few things that I’ve experienced:

1.) it’s always about location, location, location in real estate. Land in Wyoming, Ontario, Genesee, Livingston, Wayne, Orleans counties is almost always more expensive then land in Allegheny or Steuben counties as they are closer to Buffalo and/or Rochester and people pay for that convenience
2.)make sure you valuate the timber separately from the land itself. The average house realtor has no idea how to do this. Make sure you use a realtor that has experience valuations these types of things (Future forestry Consulting, Whitetail Properties are a few)
3.) level land is always more valuable then 45 degree hills. Although the hills are great topography for hunting, level land is more valuable for building
4.) Do you have utilities at the street or on property?
5.) Do/will you have deed restrictions or will you limit sub surface or timber rights?
6.) what are the current price per acre properties in your neck of the woods? This can at least give you a starting point. Yours may certainly be worth more but it can at least give you a floor.
7.) what sort of amenities do you have on your property? Orchards, big bucks, food plots , hinge cuts etc etc. these are important to hunters but not necessarily someone who is looking at your land as a future building lot

I’d make sure you at least reach out to someone who has experience selling lots like this. As above, I gave you a few names. I’d do your homework and get sale price data on lots around you (keep in mind some of these might be lower than current value if they were arms length transactions or in family transactions - this is often done to keep tax assessments down). Find out what lots are going for. Also, you have a great situation with your neighbor as he is already willing to give you cash.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United