Yamaha 9.9 four stroke..no spark one cylinder

skipper19

Was trolling when the engine began running on one cylinder. Checked the plugs and found the bottom cylinder was the one misfiring. pushed a screwdriver into the wire at the spark plug end set near ground source...NO spark, while engine running strong on the other cylinder. I suspect the coil. It is a single unit with two spark plug wires leading out of it. The wires are part of the coil itself and cannot be removed. Checked the flywheel magnets and pickup, and all seems fine there. Anything I may be overlooking? Hate the thought of buying a new coil for 100 bucks and find out that wasn't the problem incase i'm overlooking something. Thanks in advance

Mark

Swapped spark plugs. good plug in the dead cylinder It fired on the same cylinder that was dead....same wire from the coil pack. tried the spark plug from the dead cylinder in the cylinder that was running with the wire for that cylinder and it would not fire. I guess The spark plug has a problem. Now to find some NGK CR6HSA....maybe auto zone or NAPA.

The coil is a single unit with two wires, and they both fire with the one plug, but not with the other....plugs gotta be it.

Mark

Thanks guys, Ray I'm not sure about the lawn mower plugs, I got some fer mine but their eyes went crossed when they couldn't poop no more. :happy2:

On a more intelligent note, I found the plugs at RAS marine service in Spencerport on rte 104. Lake Breeze Marina said they will have them in stock soon.

The HSA at the end of the # is for cold climates. standard plugs are without the "A".

Wish we had an Advance Auto store here....but prolly the store would take too many megawatts to run here since all the hydropower can't get here without the copper wirin in Lyntucky