Boat Trailer Question - Breakaway Cable

idn713

2 minutes ago, stinger said:

You can see by the picture of the wheel that you have disc brakes. A simple way to check if the system is working is to hook the trailer up to your vehicle and leave the electric plug off. Try to back up the trailer with you vehicle.  You shouldn't be able to bake up if the brakes are working. If the wheels lock up and you can't move in reverse the brakes are working. If the trailer rolls in reverse the system isn't working properly. By the questions you are asking here you should probably have someone that knows what they are doing check it out.

Now this is confusing becuase by this logic if I manually tried to push it into my garage when I got home (which I’ve done with like 5-6 different brand new boats at different locations) then the brakes would lock up and it would never go in reverse? To be clear, the electrical hookup on this trailer only operates the lights. Also, I did not pull out the breakaway cable, the S hook simply bent. I was under the impression the brakes were for emergency runaway trailer purposes only and that’s what the point of the breakaway cable is. I’ve never had any issue ever backing up a single axle boat trailer regardless of the plug being plugged in. 

On a surge system, when you try to back up it usually slides the actuator forward locking up the brakes. To move in reverse you either install a lockout tab on the tongue to keep actuator from moving or install a bypass solenoid in which you need trailer plugged into tow vehicle and when your reverse lights come on the solenoid opens releasing your brakes to back up. Possible your other trailers were not surge systems or nothing you’ve ever had worked. Idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Cody191 said:

On a surge system, when you try to back up it usually slides the actuator forward locking up the brakes. To move in reverse you either install a lockout tab on the tongue to keep actuator from moving or install a bypass solenoid in which you need trailer plugged into tow vehicle and when your reverse lights come on the solenoid opens releasing your brakes to back up. Possible your other trailers were not surge systems or nothing you’ve ever had worked. Idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh, looks like you are right and I do have the lockout tab (not installed) but I don’t think I have ever once had my brakes lock up in reverse. Again this is a 2019 trailer in almost new condition so wouldn’t it be unlikely the brakes are already not working? 

So after looking into it, I now understand how the surge system on most boat trailers now work. Here is the weird part, I have been around a lot of boat trailers and around quite a few that are new but only have the 4 pin wiring system. So that would mean no electronic stop for the surge brakes, and the lockout key would be the only way to back the trailer up, yet I have NEVER seen anyone use a lockout key. Like ever. Most of the trailers again didn't have the electronic brake stop so is it possible that damn near every trailer I have seen to this point just isn't using it's surge brake system when in reverse? Or is it that at slower speeds the surge system is not being acted upon with enough force to actually engage the brakes, which would allow for backing the boat in at ramps or at your house into the garage. Just seems weird I have never once seen or experienced a surge brake lockout. 

As someone else mentioned, you should try backing up a fairly steep hill.  That should activate the brakes.  If your driveway / garage are fairly level, you probably aren't exerting enough force on the tongue to get the brakes to work.  I've also had them engage and then not disengage when hitting the brakes hard while heading downhill.  Had to really punch it to get the brakes to let go!

Edited by Crayfish
  • Like 1

I have surge breaks on mine no electric bypass I have to use the lock out tab to reverse anywhere other than a steep launch the break away cable doesn't have to break it just has to pull out if you look there is a random crimp on the cable that crimp should be within the toung it's not which means you pulled the break the fact that it's not locked up on a new trailer is actually very scary I would have a dealer look at it that could be borderline faulty equipment

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

It's a surge brake system. Surge brakes rely on the boat's inertia to slow them down when necessary and the cable is to emergency stop if trailer comes off the truck. The brake fluid reservoir is under that black plastic cover as others have already said. If there is no brake fluid in the reservoir, the brakes won't do ****, so I would check that first. My Shorelander trailer looks a lot like yours. I checked my fluid level 2 years ago and it was bone dry. If you want to replace the S hook, buy a new one and cut off the old one with a dremel tool, but I have straightened them in a 4 or 5 inch vice before. 

PS: I don't think S hooks are legal in NY anymore on safety chains but I think they are still OK on surge brake cable.

I have closed hooks like this with Vice-Grips before. Adjust them, so the jaws are just snug on the hook with the lever and handle almost together, and squeeze them. If the hook closes a little, release the lever, turn the screw a little and squeeze again. Repeat until the hook is closed. You have to take small "bites" utilizing the mechanical advantage of the Vice-Grips unless you're Superman or have really large hands.

Edited by alwysfishn