Keuka Keuka run 4/22

Launched out of hammondsport at 6:30AM and trolled north along the west shore at 120ft depth.   Found most fish half way to bluff in 130-140' and all 2-8' off the bottom.   Went 10 for 13 in 4 hours.  Hot spoon was a black with pink and purple ladderback we nicknamed "hot barbie" that took 5 fish alone.  3 diver hits on a white with pink ladderback and a couple on other black ladderback colors.   Riggers were just off the bottom and diver rods were out 220-240.  Shallow ran some deep diver rapalas with no luck.  Best day we've had on Keuka slow trolling,  but to be honest was the first time we were really serious about it. 

20220423_095258.jpg

20220422_092627.jpg

20220422_094436.jpg

20220422_075115.jpg

• Like 6

Was up 4/24 8:30 am till 1 pm, trolled Branchport end from State Park launch down about 3 miles on west shore. Went 7 for 11 on downriggers & spoons, no real pattern.  Tried lead core with stickbaits no success.  Did see a few bait  balls on the sonar with fish under them, hopefully a good sign. Purple & chickenwing michigan stingers did most of the damage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We get a limit every time we go (jigging) but a 22 inchers is our recent biggest!!!   And we do see a little bait each time, not a lot but some.  The fish are healthier looking then in previous years but small.......jk   Oh white tubes and no one else is around to bug you either

5 hours ago, jk1 said:

We get a limit every time we go (jigging) 

JK1, don't care about your fishing location, I am just looking for the method you use jigging.  Such as live bait or plastic  and maybe the depth and how heavy.  I know that can change. I've tried with complete failure.  

A real simple rig and it is what most people use.  A one ounce round jig  head, or for that matter a fish shaped one works too.  White is the most common color and that is what all our guys use.  A white, with flakes or plain tube, find the thin ones not the fat ones as they make the lure sink to slow.  I super glue it on the jig head, first cutting off a little of the head so there is more surface area for the glue to attach to.  But my buddy who catches the most does not use the glue and just runs the hook through the front of the tube and out the back.  He has to change tube after so many hits.   We use 10 pound test line( I have down sized to 6 fire line to get down faster).  half a dozen feet of mono to the no stretch fireline.  I use my mitchell 400 with a 6 foot rod, nothing fancy just need a spools with a good drag.   Need a good depth finder to find the fish, as your lure goes down if you see one come up to it reel in fast-faster and he might clobber it = solid hook ups.  Other wise go to the bottom.  Bounce there a few times and start to real in very slow, if ones comes looking start going faster.  And the rest is personal choice.  In our boat of three people each of us has our own style of what to do.  Some times they will just bump the lure other time bang and all levels in between.....ok?........jk

Yep, figures. I spend hours using a rig with half dead sawbellies because that's what they say you need to use.  Half dead because if you look at them to long, they'll die on spite. Meanwhile,  I have a bag filled with white plastic sitting in the boat screaming to be used.  

I use some 6'6" rods with round bait casters spooled with 12 pound fluorocarbon. (I also use them for trolling in Canada for Northern pike). My depth finder in the Lowrance  elite 7 chirp. Not the best, but it works.  

Guess I'm going to have to change things up next time up. Thanks for all your info.