Fiberglass Keel Repair - suggestions needed

PA Matt

I pulled my boat from storage Thursday and discovered that when I removed it from the water in the fall, the white nylon like plastic on the front cradle disintegrated. When I trailered the boat, it scrapped off the gel coat layer along the keel and left 2 depressions about 3/16" where it rested on the cradle. I am looking for recommendations as to how to fix this. I also would like to replace the cradle with a roller. 

The gouge is about 36" long and is the equivalent to sanding it with 60 grit paper, the exception are the 2 depressions mentioned above. 

Any help is appreciated.

image.thumb.png.0b1c40a793966465c46d984c2afd84ec.pngimage.thumb.png.50902aa7ea815a60b5eecde9f87f691e.pngimage.thumb.png.b0c77679b051c066dc8bd6b15fcc5a68.png

Edited by PA Matt

for those types of repairs, I cut up cheesecloth in about 1/4" pieces into my fiberglass resin and stirred it up together then brushed it onto the damaged area about 1/4" thick as smooth as possible and allowed it to dry. after drying I sanded it smooth and used a spray can and painted it. 

another way is to apply your fiberglass resin to the boat and apply your cheesecloth then apply another coating of resin and apply another piece of cheesecloth about 1" smaller than the first piece. I would apply 4 layers of cheesecloth and allow it to dry then sand and paint. 

On line marine distributors like Jamestown Distributors have videos on various repairs plus sell the items.  West Systems has videos as well.  IMO these are better sources vs a YouTube search as it separates some hacks.  Using the right materials at right temperatures is important with fiberglass repairs.  Certainly a DIY repair with the right products.

Thanks guys. I ordered some West systems epoxy and filler. Watched some videos, seems pretty straight forward. Supposed to be in the low 70s friday and Saturday, I'll give it a go then.