Let the lure back say 100'. Take the line (on the rod) twist it making a loop. Clip the loop into the release. This will keep the light from the rod to the release from slipping. If the middle rod releases, send the closest rod to the boat to the spot where the middle rod was when the fish hit. Once you have reeled in the fish, let the rod out and then clip it in a release and send it out to the spot where the closest rod was before you sent it out the middle spot after the fish hit. I would start in the spring with mono flatlines for browns until you get proficient before trying copper or core. I usually run 3 or more rods off of one board. I run my boards out 100 - 150 to the side of the boat if the boat traffic is not too heavy. space them equally apart down the plainer line.