-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
-
Yes you can rig them many different ways in setups e.g behind downriggers or dipseys by themselves etc. but if you wish to get real deadly with lakers run them behind cowbells. If you haven't done so check out the Gambler rigs on here. He has it down to a "science" and the results speak for themselves
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Nice work Al. I think you guys had the right idea during the derby too as it definitely wasn't a "trollers" derby
-
Yes tell her you have a lot of plans to travel.....just don't mention it is to the launch
-
I have had my 2 stroke 135 Opti on my 18 ft Whaler since both were brand new in 2002 and it has performed flawlessly with the exception of the impeller screwing up in 2013.....my fault as they were supposed to be replaced every couple years and I still had the original in it The engine is incredible for a 2 stroke on gas and oil consumption but I run non-ethanol91 octane and always have used the specific Opti oil in it and marine Stabil year round. Mine has probably 500 hrs on it as I have until a couple weeks ago used my 9.9 2 stroke trolling motor for trolling. I now have a new 4 stroke 9.8 Tohatsu for that. The motor will troll down to 1.7-1.9 (stainless steel prop) when necessary although I have primarily used it for trolling only in real windy conditions going against the wind over the years. It always starts up immediately but I keep my battery fully charged and run all my secondary stuff off another battery as I was informed when I bought the boat that it has to have over a half charge to start the motor as it a a high amperage draw during startup. I took it in last year for my first set of spark plugs since the originals and when it was tested for compression I was told the compression was just the same as one that he would test from the showroom and that these motors are considered the best that Merc has ever made. In short I love it and feel that it is very reliable. Most of the time I run it to and from places at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and I kid you not it uses less gas than my old 2 stroke Johnson 35 horse motor on my 13 ft Whaler.
-
Ah... probably the only way would be to see if one or the other unit can use a transducer of different frequency (e.g. 50khz instead of 200 or 83 etc.) if neither is dual frequency.
-
Should be OK if the transducers are different frequencies.
-
-
Fishy is a real good dude He also goes out of his way to help folks get what they need and he either has on hand or has access to all sorts of fishing stuff at his shop. As a LOU guy and as a Veteran as well he deserves our support. If any of you are out that way fishing Keuka especially stop by and have a look for yourselves. He always takes the time to chat and is very knowledgeable about fishing in general and Keuka fishing in particular
-
Decent day on Lake Michigan, out of Kenosha
Sk8man replied to John Kelley's topic in Fishing Pictures
-
Paul covered it fisherdude but you may not be aware that the channel that leads out of the ramp into the lake is only about three ft deep or less in some spots. I often run with my trim up a bit till past the farthest (toward lake) red and green buoy marker at the mouth because when there are low water conditions (e.g. November etc.) you can sometimes hit with the prop shouldn't be an issue this time of year though.
-
tough weekend out of sandy
Sk8man replied to bondouley's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Nice brown congratulations ! Mike is exactly right when he says the experience had with your kid is truly priceless because that is really what the experience out there is all about. My son has been fishing with me since he was 2 1/2 years old and he remains my primary fishing partner to this day and I cherish every moment still of our "adventures" together and now instead of playing with his army men in the front of the boat he busts my chops and vise versa. It is life long and we both love it .
-
-
should live bait be allowed in trout Derby's?
Sk8man replied to slow rollin's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
My comment was directed specifically to the Seneca derby that ended yesterday and because many of the money fish were caught with iive bait (the winning brown still had the hook snell in his mouth when I saw him) so I naturally thought you were referring to that . I guess sometimes it helps to carefully pose your question so that folks don't misunderstand. This is a lot of potential drama about nothing and as Nick mentioned the vagueness of the question may be the problem here. -
should live bait be allowed in trout Derby's?
Sk8man replied to slow rollin's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
It certainly wasn't and isn't my intention in the above post. -
You'll be getting a lot of "personal preferences" regarding this issue. A lot depends on what you will be using the wire on (e..g. twilli or roller tip/guides) and how you will be running it (ie. with what at the end and how deep etc.). The 19 strand wire has finer filaments and is probably more resistant to friction at the tip but it may be harder to detect when it is beginning to fail (fray) and because it is more "rounded" may be less likely to kink. The larger the diameter of the wire the less it cuts through the water well and "blow back" becomes an issue. Normally 7 strand ss wire is commonly used on Lake O with wire diver setups but some folks use the 19 strand and swear by it. Something to be aware of is the fact that the 30 lb stainless 7 strand wire can or will cut through the side plates of cheap (aluminum side plate with ss roller insert) roller tips when the rod is at an improper angle but with a twilli tip it should make no difference. The 19 strand is said to have less wear on the rollers and guides. As far as brand names go you may wish to check for tensile strength of the various brands as they vary considerably according to a chart I saw a while back. One additional thing to consider is the reel you will be using and the space opening at the side of the spool between the side plate. I recently tried using 30 lb ss wire instead of the 60-90 I have used for years on a Penn 309 (Seth Green rig not wire dipsey) and quickly got reminded of why I used the larger diameter in the first place....the 30 lb wrapped around the spindle as it fit through at the side of the spool. It did it repeatedly (so it wasn't a "fluke") and I had to scrap the brand new wire as each time I had to cut it out to free up the reel.
-
No need to set the hook if the hooks are sharp. Many times folks don't check them or sharpen them as needed....it makes a huge difference. The slack from the downrigger needs to be taken up quickly especially when fished deep or sliders are attached. From then on steady pressure from reeling them in does the trick if the hooks are sharp. I have long ago replaced nearly all trebles with single stainless xxx Siwash salmon hooks and seldom lose a fish with them. One of the problems with trebles is that in certain places in the mouth the cartilage is very hard and if the fish clamps down on all three hooks deep penetration is not achieved and the third hook on the treble can also be used to work the other two free while a single will usually hook over and behind the cartilage or fully penetrate it. Additionally singles save time getting fish out of the net and releasing them as they don't catch in the net as readily as trebles.
-
should live bait be allowed in trout Derby's?
Sk8man replied to slow rollin's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
I think most of the folks out there would agree that first of all it is a long standing trout derby and before I had a boat and was into trolling I fished it from shore with live bait and then from a buddy's boat still fishing with live bait then into trolling and my own boat. It is a very successful method of fishing for trout especially large ones. Still fishing and jigging by knowledgeable fishermen are usually the most effective ways to catch them once fish are located and if it came down to having to survive by catching fish that is what I'd be doing. The derby for my son and I represents a tradition over many years and the fun for us is bonding and doing diverse things and trying new methods and lures and traveling through different water and the excitement of hearing the drag go out not knowing what might be on the other end. I have spent many many hours sitting on shore and also from a boat waiting for the line to go out with live bait and having to frequently have to let down and pull up your anchor a million times trying to connect with the fish. To me it is a very boring way to fish these days. For those who consider it unfair I would relate what a lady (non fisherperson) once said to me back in the 70's at a a lunch ramp on Seneca when she saw my new Heath Kit graph recorder in my little 13 ft. Whaler - "That is so unfair... those fish don't have a chance and you should be ashamed of yourself" (true story). This was not a trollers derby pure and simple but not everyone out there a has a boat or the necessary equipment to fish the way many of us prefer to do. In the past folks including kids have placed in the derby with fish caught from shore or docks along the lake shore (e.g. seawall at north end etc. using live bait and they have just as much right as anyone to fish with their preferred or in some cases only method to have a chance of catching something so the issue isn't limited to just experienced fishermen using live bait to "get the upper hand" on trollers. Everyone deserves a chance if they put up their money and this is truly in the spirit of this particular derby it is often a family event not a highly competitive formal "tournament".











