-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
-
-
I've used the one Mark mentioned and it is great and well worth the money and on mine you can select either the standard starting battery or deep cycle ....does a great job.
-
Is the overflow area also full at Sampson?
-
I wish Jason "Good luck" with that stuff .....I threw out a bunch of new spools of it of various tests that had never been used because of the failures in knot strength (regardless of knot used). I have used Berkeley lines since the early seventies and this is the only one that I have absolutely no trust in.
-
The purists will say leader material (e.g. Blue Label Seguar) but I have also used the Red label Seguar it just seems a little less stiff and probably the blue label stuff has a hardened coating. Whatever you do DON'T use Berkley Vanish it totally sucks.
-
bandrus is right it used to be 12 lb test for years for me but the fleas changed that 30 lb Blood Run Sea Flee leadered down to Seguar fluoro 20 lb. (12lb for early Spring browns and kings).
-
Don't feel bad Kev....the scene seems to be the same everywhere on the Fingers right now...things just haven't heated up yet. It may be worthwhile exploring shallower than we are used to at this time of year though. I spent 5 hrs trolling Canandaigua Saturday trying everything I could think of to no avail. As I was quitting and had pulled lines in I accdentally went into the shallows and this is what I found.(note also the 51 degree temp- rest of the lake was 42-43.5) (Went back and forth but no hitters....may not have been trout but who knows?)
-
-
Another big board question
Sk8man replied to Ryno23's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
You can get down a few feet (depending on speed)with 3 or so large split shot about 3 to 4 ft ahead of the stick and it will also keep the grass off to a degree. It will affect the action somewhat depending on the stick and size of it so test it at the side of the boat beforehand. I usually use it with jointed sticks as it seems to affect them less. -
-
-
-
Yes and when you winterize the boat it is a good idea to blow out any water in those lines and add camper (non toxic) antifreeze to the lines
-
It may also be one of the reasons lake trout, bait and others are nearly always bottom oriented in the winter as the densest water sinks to the bottom and then becomes the warmest game in town.
-
Possibly transducer is going bad but also check to see that the transducer placement is where it should be and hasn't "slipped" out of position etc. because it is possible that if it is pointing wrong then the jig (or fish) may be out of the cone and thus not picked up.
-
-
Wanted WTB Cannon manual rigger line counter
Sk8man replied to sammygee's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
If you don't find someone you can order one here: http://www.fish307.com/cannon-downrigger-parts.aspx -
Rather than have your condition diagnosed by us fishermen you'd better get your butt to your doctor and plan from there. When numbness is present time is of the essence because damage an occur to nerves that can be irreverseable. Physical therapy isn't a lot of fun but it can do wonders for some problems. Doesn't pay to dick around with stuff like that Ed.
-
-
best knot to tie from main line to swivel
Sk8man replied to monkeyman2269's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
Tim is exactly right I've used it for years without failure. The "improved: clinch seems to bind up and cut through the wound line....the standard clinch is a great knot. -
-
Can use 1/8 inch plastic aquarium tubing despite it not being as thin
-
Same here Ed....it will be sooner rather than later Mike it makes sense to me about Bobby's experience with the browns......the only ones I've caught in bright sunlight have always been down deep....but in the early hours they are often shallow and around docks scrounging....pretty adaptive fish. I'm getting in Walleye mode right now though I was at the Chamber launch this afternoon and it was crystal clear there and although the area out to the end of the launch ramp dock is nice and deep the sand has filled in out at the end for a hundred yards or so and it looked only a couple feet deep at most so I'd keep my prop/lower unit tilted if going out there.....sure don't need silt and sand in the intake....
-












