Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Excellent info above.
  2. It's over $2,000 around here
  3. I think I'd be trying a Spin-N-Glow behind a set of cowbells at that 60 ft range right now....something different. may have to keep buzzing back and forth by them to pizz them off or even run a J plug through them...appeal to aggression rather than feeding response..they may be stuffing themselves in all the available moonlight...just a thought.
  4. There are different sizes but they all work Spike just a treble hook (and uusuaally a few colorful beads before it) behind the peanut or Spin n Glow Hold on....I'll take some pics of setups for you to scope out and maybe it will be clearer. 1 pic - Light weight hammerhead cowbells in sizes 3 and 5 2 pic - conventional cowbells (formerly called "flashers") 3 pic- "beercan cowbells with a Twin Minnow (used like peanuts for lakers) 4 pic - Spin -N-Glow used like a peanut behind the cowbells Attached Thumbnails
  5. A flatfish or Quickfish will work...have to troll slow though 1.6-2.2 (max). (slower with riggers) I run mine (cowbells) on separate roller rods with a 32-36 oz weight. You can tell when the speed is right regardless of whether you have a down speed indicator or not by the rod tips that should pulsate rhythmically.
  6. I run my flies about the same distance 18-20 inches and it is very true they sometimes will nail it very close to the ball...my take on that is that they see the whole "train" as one "situation" and it doesn't spook them I think sometimes they may be curious about the ball and come for a look and then if too far behind the line/lure or attractor/fly comes along and spooks them. Sometimes none of it makes any difference (or sense for that matter)
  7. Hold on....I'll take some pics of setups for you to scope out and maybe it will be clearer. 1 pic - Light weight hammerhead cowbells in sizes 3 and 5 2 pic - conventional cowbells (formerly called "flashers") 3 pic- "beercan cowbells with a Twin Minnow (used like peanuts for lakers) 4 pic - Spin -N-Glow used like a peanut behind the cowbells
  8. A number 5 Hammerhead cowbell set set should be a good start.
  9. The boat needs to be repositioned and the trailer adjusted so that there is tongue weight. It should take more effort than that if it is properly balanced. That is likely what is causing the swaying.The swaying can be a real problem at higher speeds while trailering leading to loss of control of your vehicle or a rollover (sort of like the tail wagging the dog). Usually the trailer has adjustment positions or bolt holes, U bolts for moving the axle etc. or by moving the tongue forward or back so the boat can be centered but usually it is done while the boat is in the water off the trailer....depends on the trailer. When I bought my boat new I had to have it adjusted three times before it was right. Another potential problem causing swaying is if the trailer wheelbase is considerably wider than that of the tow vehicle. I had to move to a Ford Expedition from an Explorer to correct that. Another thing that can happen is if the tongue weight is "marginal" and the boat has a substantial gas tank that is partially filled the gas can slosh back and forth at higher speeds or going around corners such that things can appear to be alright until those conditions happen.
  10. I don't think what you are doing is necessarily the problem....just about everyone is having trouble consistently getting the fish to hit and especially the kings. Keep plugging away at it...hopefully things will pickup. You might also try snugging one set up close to the ball say 8 ft from it. I got one that way yesterday on a rigger (spoon). They seem to be going for spoons more than flies right now.
  11. At least you marked fish and bait Ted. I've always found August to be a slow month out here and have often shifted to fishing perch then. Les
  12. I use the 30 lb Sea Flee with a #8 (50 lb test) Spro swivel and 20 lb Seaguar fluro leader on my riggers without problems. Occasionally there are a few fleas attached at the juncture of the swivel connecting the two lines but that has been it. Lakers are not very "line shy" so I wouldn't worry about that. You can run flasher/fly without the fluoro or with cowbells for lakers without "spooking" them. My wire lines have been hammered by the fleas....
  13. Hey Nick - After yesterday out there and rethinking the whole temp thing I'm wondering if the kings are the big fish we marked up high (60-80 ft over whatever) and well out of temp (60's and 70ish). We figured they might be other species and didn't aggressively pursue them up high as we might have. They sure didn't seem very interested yesterday in the flies and all but one fish we got came on spoons.
  14. Thanks guys. I fully agree Pap (I did the lawn the day before so I could go ) I forgot to mention last night that the 30 lb Sea Flee on my downrigger lines (20 lb Seaguar fuoro leaders) stayed "fleeless" the whole time out there yesterday. Also many of the big fish we marked were fairly high in the water column (e.g. 60 -70 ft) over whatever and most of the time we were running our stuff with the temps deeper (when we did run through them they did not hit) thinking they might be other species up in that high sixties and 70 ish water....I am now reconsidering that....I would now fish the out of temp range (60-80 ft suspended) much more vigorously over the deeper stuff with spoons and sliders. The fish that we caught came at about 2.5-2.6 mph
  15. As far as the Sea Flee line I run Black releases and do about 6- 8 line twists before putting the arm in the loop. If I were running the off shores I'd probably use rubber bands on the line to hold better
  16. Sorry to hear about your problem Dave. I hope it all turns out well for you. I always install inline fuses on each of the electronics between the device and the battery as well as the others. Good luck with things.
  17. Nice going and good report. Good to see smiling face on Canandaigua. Nice bow
  18. Adm Byrd and I were one the water about 6 AM in his Penn Yan and fished it hard today until about 6 PM tonight. We mainly worked from100 ft out to 230 or so but only connected in the 120-125 ft. range fro the most part and not all that many fish marked throughout vast areas but intermittent bait pods were there off and on mainly without any fish near them. We used a little bit of everything today (flasher/fly, Spinney/fly, wires leadcore, 200 copper, downriggers/spoons, and with dodger/spoon combos). Initially we caught about a 6 lb brown on spoon downrigger 90 over 125, then a lull for a few hours and then a bout a 6- 7 lb king 100 ft down over120 ft on downrigger with spoon, followed by about an 8-10 lb laker an hour or so later on the 200 copper with dipsey and flasher/fly out 300, this was followed by many hours seeing few if any fish but bait present without any hits. This afternoon we trolled for hours without seeing many fish just bait scattered about the "marine desert". Then a 5 lb brown took an orange spoon 95 over 128 ft (downrigger) and later followed by a 15-16 lb king on that same orange spoon 115 ft over 130 ft. We again trolled for hours and around 4 PM another king (about8-10 lbs took a flasher/fly combo. All fish released but the two largest kings didn't make it so they were boxed. All in all a fun day of fishing but very long periods between fish and a lot of disappointing fishless screens...but quite a lot of bait out there. The ball busting saved the day for us butwe were rocking back and forth when we came off the boat from the crazy wave action today for so many hours. The fleas were there and moderately problematic in spots but not as bad as a week ago. The largest salmon had large lamprey marking on its side.
  19. Nice healthy looking fish WTG!
  20. Those 88's work great on Owasco by the way...run 5 at a time and cranked until they spin and the rod tip vibrates noticibly...the big lakers nail them.
  21. Larry I think the SS limit disappears as soon as you reach full retirement age (e.g. 66) Used to be age 70.
  22. Ok thx bud. I may stay north then if I go. I appreciate the info.
  23. Nice going on the fish Ed. Rather puzzling difference in the size of different temps on E vs. W sides. must be the wind and current combined to set it up that way. Pretty steep difference. Was hoping to fish Lake O but the wind direction has sucked so may opt for Seneca tomorrow. Are the weeds mostly as you head south? Thinking maybe about a Sampson launch but not decided yet.....
  24. Gambler has the right attitude....and my sentiments exactly too. We have gotten pretty spoiled ans we need a reminder to "smell the roses" once in awhile.
  25. Superhark18 - Just as a "heads up" the fleas and weeds have been pretty bad this season even coating the downrigger cables all the way up. Jigging may end up being the only practical option unless things have changed radically since my last trip Once the thermocline has formed as it has the action is usually "suspended" rather than bottom oriented and jigging becomes a slight bit trickier and more dependent on your fish finders ability to discriminate your jig depth and position of fish and sometimes they want slighlty lighter jigs with more action. In the past I've found that darker jigs seem to be preferred by the bigger lakers in the warmer months for some reason while at other times white has been the most successful. Sometimes you have to drift slowly back and forth over the suspended fish a few times before they will hit.
×
×
  • Create New...