Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Sounds good Jeff. Glad things are working out with the boat.
  2. The younger kings seem to do better when released if they are brought in fairly quickly and if possible not touched by hand or netted. I've always used single hooks on just about all my stuff and use needle nose pliers to grab the hook turn it upside down and give a small shake and they usually drop back in the water at the back of the boat unharmed. Large kings are a different matter. For one thing it isn't always the depths that gets to them it is the long fight and expended energy...they are pretty much exhausted after fighting their hearts out. They also build up lactic acid in their system during the fight....much like the stuff that gives runners muscle cramps etc. In short...they are usually shot...and go belly up when released. They also do a lot of thrashing around in the net (the previous release method not practical) and in the boat causing injury. It might be possible to release one that isn't badly injured by spending a lot of time re acclimating them slowly but I've never done it.
  3. Congrats!
  4. Does it have a "kill switch"? If so sometimes it can be in the Off position without someone realizing it.....
  5. Sweet! That is one fish I've never caught.....very cool!
  6. Sorry to hear it briggsy.....last year I had a $250 camera in a camera bag with a half dozen sd chips either dropped out of my jacket pocket or was taken from the boat while I got my vehicle at the launch ramp (had been fishing alone) and someone took it....it sucks... feels awful. I'm still pizzed off about it.
  7. Are those my dog dishes in the background?
  8. Sounds like you guys are having a good time and that is what it is all about...Good luck.
  9. One of the things most folk don't think about is that the salmon might be hitting the flasher rather than the fly . Back in the 1980's when fishing a Fall derby out of Point Breeze I was getting huge hits on a medium sized dodger/squid combo and then nothing there (repeatedly) so I tried an experiment I put a 3/0 single ss hook on the DODGER and boom...nice king.. it was the only one that I ever got that way but it proved the point to me. (and yes the hook does tend to tangle up a little in what is behind it)
  10. Maybe time for that special lure of Theresa's Nick so that you are "color coordinated" with the rods..it's rumored that salmon are sensitive to that kind of stuff....especially the males
  11. It is to your credit that you were honest about it and an important thing for the boy to see also. Sometimes "life lessons" canbe more valuable than derby prizes. Lets hope that later on he has absorbed your example. Good luck.
  12. Nice fish Jeff and great to see the kids into it! I was skunked the past two times out on Canandaigua ( a first) and didn't mark much at all that last time. How did you make out with the trolling plate?....and the new ride? Les
  13. Nice one Andy and cute kids....good going!
  14. Very nice fish Andy. Keep after em
  15. Out in the same area as Bob with jb235 (otherwise known as Jim) but got a later start. Worked the north end and went deep with 3 thermocline rigs and a 6 core leadcore but unlike Bob didn't have my grass detector with me picked up three lakers (all released unharmed) about 80-100 ft down over 148-190 on the rigs. Got into the grass big time and other "unmentionable" problems with one of the rigs creating a nice donation to the fish gods... so we switched it up to 2 downriggers with sliders, a wire dipsey with Spin Doc/fly,and 2 small dipseys off the outriggers all spoons. Picked up two landlocks one of which ( about 3 plus pounds) was hooked bad and bled all over the boat so he ended up at the end of my fillet knife. One other hit that didn't take on the downrigger (all three hits came on slider with the main lure at 55 ft.) and all on the same small unnamed black lure. All three lakers came on the same small home made lure. We packed it in just after Bob did as the fish were on a lunch break or something. Grass was bad fleas were there but tolerable on 20 lb Big Game. They also were a little different than usual as they were more translucent, and seemed to come off the line easier....
  16. Always handy to have no matter how long you've been at it Thanks. Les
  17. Good idea to always disconnect the fuel line to the small motor and run the fuel out when you quit. I always disconnect and then blow out things a bit on the remaining gas until it quits after trolling for long periods. Also wise to get the lower unit up out of the water when on plane.
  18. Nice fish... Still ha a little color on it too. Good going!
  19. Good luck with everything Marty.
  20. This post sure makes a good case for catch and release
  21. Thanks Sean. I ordered it through Amazon. I notice it has a silicon coating and 80 % breaking strength so I hope it holds up over time but sure worth a try to have a little "peace" while fishing....the weed situation is bad enough to deal with out there. Les
×
×
  • Create New...