-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
Yeah I guess I really "get into it" sometimes in the way of details ...but I hope it helps you out... Canandaigua is often a challenge but especially so this year with the die off etc. All these lakes have their "ups and downs" or cycles and usually just when you think you have it dialed in everything changes but that it what offers the challenge and makes it fun. Best of luck to you fishing. Les
-
-
The usual or standard rigging methods involve 7 or 19 stranded stainless wire and the hardness of it and abrasiveness of the strands over time acts somewhat like a saw on the tip and guides of conventional rods that don't have specially hardened tips and/or guides. The 19 strand wire is reputed to get away from this but I haven't had first hand experience with it. Supposedly the wire is more rounded so there is less of an "edge" to it. The wire can also cut some soft metal in level wind mechanisms. I have for example some Penn reels from the past that have such grooves or cuts in the level winds because they were softer than the ss wire I had used... To get away from this roller tips or twilli tips are used to reduce friction on the tips and line guides as well as allow the wire to keep from kinking or bending abnormally (to a degree). One way to get around this is to use wire that is "softer" than the tip metal or line guides - monel and copper are such wire and there are others such as perhaps the piano wire (smooth not stranded). Another angle that is pursued is to make the tips and line guides from very hard metals or composites that have a hardness greater than that of the wire....titanium is one such metal but it is expensive to use in the manufacturing process so it is usually only seen in high end equipment. Specially manufactured (hardened) carbide composites or special ceramic materials and coatings are used in less expensive options - usually as inserts to the tips and guides.
-
Thanks Andy. Keep at those fish!
-
Wire has a lot of "spool memory" and it helps to put on some mono (not braid) backing (even if just a hundred ft or so on the spool before putting on the wire so that it nests itself more evenly. My hunch is that a possible factor in your situation may have been the location of your level wind when you started to put the wire on. If it was off to the side rather than straight on it may have caused the wire to be on a diagonal as it was wound on the spool and that often leads to the messes you described. Just an attempt at "arm chair analysis" but possible. As Dave mentioned tension is constantly required when using wire (which also leads to spool memory but there is no escaping it). I usually loosen the drags on my reels when not in use but with the wire rigs I don't for that reason.
-
1000 ft. of 30 lb test 7 strand Accustrand, Malin or Mason is good for starters for each reel if you are talking fresh water for salmon and trout. There is also new 19 strand wire that you may wish to consider as well. For rods - either roller tips or twilli tips are wise choices and length is basically a personal preference issue but it should have some backbone to it . For reels it will largely depend on what you can afford but you need to make sure they have a good drag system or upgrade them with the carbon fiber drags and they need to have enough capacity to hold the 1,000 ft of wire. Line counters are very desirable too and the level wind guide mechanism should be made of a "hardened" material or have a hardened insert to avoid excessive wear on it or the wire line over time. A loud clicker is also helpful in being able to hear them above engine noise etc. You might even want to start with just one rig and see if that particular setup works the way you desire before buying a second one and go from there. You will find a lot of die hard Okuma, Shimano and Daiwa folks (myself among them) here but I would suggest that you go to a tackle shop (some of them advertise on here) that stocks a few different models and brands and try to get a "feel" for them and listen to the clickers, check the weight of them against your preference and intended rod etc. A lot of folks sell rods and reels here and on Ebay, Craigs List etc. that just ordered on line or went out and bought stuff they ended up disliking for a variety of reasons. Some places have combos already set up with wire so that you can try them for drag smoothness, clicker noise and general operation. Sometimes there may be trade-offs for example such as the Saltist issue of direct drive line counter which is accurate and functional but some folks object to it's placement at the side of the reel as being uncomfortable....you wouldn't know that from ordering it online or getting an opinion from someone who is in love with the reel and doesn't see it as a significant problem.
-
-
Sean, Thanks for the report and great fish! Things are really shaping up out there.... Les
-
Good going Andy! What is the grass and flea situation like out there now? (Just returned from the Cape so haven't heard anything since I left). Both the bows and landlocks are a lot of run and can be hard to hold on to
-
Hey Nick and Theresa. Congrats on the nice King.....quite the specimen... I just now got back from Cape Cod. Unfortunately I didn't take my boat and surf casting for the stripers was out because the high tides were about 2 PM and that's when all the beach goers were there so I couldn't even fish for them. I usually go in August when the high tide is early AM so I guess that's it for this year...I did score some nice jigs while scouring the tackle shops to try for Finger Lakes trout that you can't find around here though so it wasn't a total loss Les
-
-
-
I think the Blood Run See Flea is the way to go. I'm going to spool up a couple more reels with it after testing it out last night on Canandaigua....worked like a charm with 17 lb 8 ft. leader of Fluoro...no fleas on it whatsoever while I had some on the 30 lb wire rig....limited test but it persuaded me to use my other two rolls of it. After years of fishing with 10 and 12 lb test it takes some getting used to using 30 lb anything...feels like I'm using anchor line I also forgot to mention....the See Flea line seems to float quite a bit on the surface as you let it out (probably the sliicone coating) so may be better for downriggers etc. than as a top line
-
Thanks guys. Hey Justin I hear ya on the Nauset area....last couple years they have closed the beach because of the Great Whites grabbing the seals there My in-laws live in Eastham so I'm pretty much an outer Cape dude Been going to the Cape since 1967. We used to fish the rip tide out from Chatham right off Monomoy with sand eels and nailed a lot of real hogs there but as you mentioned the seals and sharks are now a real problem out there. I've fished out of Rock Harbor, P town, Dennis, and Wellfleet but have never fished the Cape Cod Canal. This year I may be limited to surf casting off Coastguard Beach or Nauset and hopefully won't hook on to a Great White
-
My buddy Mike and i went out at about 6:30 tonight until about 9:45 PM in his boat.We put out 2 downriggers a wire dipsey with flasher and fly combo and a small dipsey without the ring near German Brothers in about70 ftw. A little while into it I had a good hit on the F/F (mountain dew with green and white fly). A first I thought it felt like a medium sized fish and I started to take up some slack with him coming toward the boat and then he started really thrashing and took out a good deal of wire three separate times. The rod was bent pretty good too (stiff roller tip rod). I got him half way in and I felt him let go....never got a look but whatever it was it was a real good fish....kept trolling south on west side and trolled to the condos and we picked up two rainbows one on black Evil Eye and one on a small hand painted rapala that Mike custom painted himself with auto paint and he said its his all around best lure. His fish was badly injured so it was kept. Mine was released unharmed to fight another day and it fought valiantly for me ...one of its several jumps was about 6 ft in the air. We encountered a little grass but not bad. The fleas were there but not bad either. The new Blood Run flea line never had any fleas whatsoever while the wire rig picked up a few at the terminus. It was an incredibly beautiful night and we savored it and especially the breeze all the way back to the launch ramp after the heat today. Next fishing stop Striperland ( Cape Cod Saturday) Oh yeah...Mike and his rainbow
-
-
-
The Curse of Sodus
Sk8man replied to TOP SECRET's topic in Tournament Talk, Shows, Events & Seminars
Nearly every time I went against my better judgment and intuition ( especially during derbies when I really wanted to get out there) it ended up very disappointing to say the least. Although you can "survive it" it is no fun not being able to control your speed/direction of presentation, or your lines and major tangles (the order of the day) take the fun out of it for anyone, and usually you don't wind up with much in the way of fish because of the above. It sucks to be onshore during fishing time but being out there usually sucks much worse. -
If I were to do new cable and fish lake Ontario I would get the 400 brown colored cable.
-
Ditto on B and E Tackle









