So I am headed up to Association Island for 4 days in two weeks, so first week of August.  I am looking for guidance, worth fishing for kings up there?   Heard something about the Trench.....I don't see anyone posting about the area so just curious...worth wetting the lines while I am up there ?

Any help appreciated.....

Thanks

“ the trench “ is between Stony point and Stony  island.  If you have a chart  or GPS you will see it clearly.  It can be great or it can be a desert  beginning of August should see fishing pick up in that area. Watch for charter boats and do what they’re doing. Downriggers are a must. It gets very congested because of the narrow nature of the trench , so use long lines at your peril   Good bass fishing along the high rocks by Whele state park. Good luck 

I’d say August is worth heading out to the trench and giving it a try. There’s usually always lakers around, Salmon might be around or it might be a bit too early. Otherwise there’s always good walleye fishing in Henderson bay.

IMG_2567.jpeg

2 minutes ago, greenhornet73 said:

If fishing the “trench” just be aware of the contour changes since it drops off quickly along it.  You could lose a rigger weight if you aren’t paying attention.

Been there done that. Along with a probe 

18 hours ago, Lewis863 said:

So I am headed up to Association Island for 4 days in two weeks, so first week of August.  I am looking for guidance, worth fishing for kings up there?   Heard something about the Trench.....I don't see anyone posting about the area so just curious...worth wetting the lines while I am up there ?

Any help appreciated.....

Thanks

I will be up there the 4th - 7th!  

Good point about hitting bottom. 

Last 2 years have had Fishhawk probe.  Always been deepest down on Port side to get most accurate,  depth, temp,  speed etc..,  then set up all other lines with that info as guidance. 

Ex: usually Starboard rigger is 20 feet less cable down (probably 10-15 ft of depth).

Two weeks,  on buddy's boat, trolling at 115 ft,  went over 85 ft hump.  He lost 15 lbs. shark weight in an instant. 

Fortunately,  only damage was a peeled apart clip at shark.

Made me think about what would happen on my boat, if I hit the probe, Port side.

So, now Starboard weight is deepest,   and probe,  Port side is higher. 

Always good to learn thru other people's experiences. 

3 yrs ago, fortunately,  going very slow for early Lakers in 80 FOW,  hit 60 ft hump while a buddy had  a "fish on".

Went into Neutral,  while 180ft of downrigger wire pulled out.

Landed/released laker. Pulled up all other gear.  Then slowly backed up,  gently pushing green power button on rigger.   Once close over hump,  maybe passed it a bit,  with gloves on, was able to pull shark weight free of the bottom. 

You could say we were 2 for 2 in that instant.  LOL !