Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

Losing two weekends to vacation in the ADK necessitated all-day stand work, and it's not done yet, but we don't have any huge bucks patterned either, so early October is still fair game for last minute trimming and blind work. 

I am definitely not feeling prepared. At least all of our stands have been scouted for safety issues; lifelines make the high stands that much more trustworthy, and straps were all replaced last year. Onwards!

So the stage is set. A week to go before the long NYS deer season begins. I moved one of my cameras this week just because I wasnt getting the response I expected. With the lack of acorns on the ridge deer activity has been almost absent. I have noticed the lack of acorns every where this year. My two biggest acorn spots are almost totally vacant of any crop. All other crops seem great. Lots of green around and fruit trees look great.

So this year I am starting the hunting season in Ohio and I will be hunting the first 5 days of the opener (Saturday thru Weds) at Southern Ohio Outfitters. Should be interesting. Lots of great deer on camera there and Im expecting there will be a ton of action. Its all afternoon sits only. Hopefully I can do some reports from the stand but cell coverage is spotty there.

• Like 2

Southern Tier woods have acorns, some Beech and decent apple crop. With the cost of broadheads getting crazy, I have gone to Blackout Toxiks as they are the best value IMO. Essentially a Striker head with cheaper parts. Flys true blue. Cabelas has plenty at $29.99

IMG_5752.jpeg

Quick trip to Hew Hampshire this weekend Last minute  decision.  This big doe come thru first light this morning.  barely got set up in the tree. Walked by 44 yards made short work of her she made it 60 yards. Only bc she had gravity on her side  and was going down hill. Good start to the season getting that itch Scratched! 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 8:06 AM, Legacy said:

Lets get this thread started!!! The 2023 season is just around the corner. As always I'm looking forward to returning back into the deer woods. Lets see some of those trail cam pics!

Last season's gun buck story as posted in the 2022 thread

November 19 am
28 degrees
SW wind 10-15 mph
Cloudy

Opening day gun season

Well my archery season wasn't what I had hope for. Damn work got in the way of hunting. The last two days I was hesitant of hunting because of the wind. A steady light wind works for where I wanted to be but not a heavy gusty wind so I stayed out. And I'm glad I did.

I got in stand about 610 or so and slowly got settled in with hundred layers. Before I even got my jacket on I had a buck sneak past me about 30 yards. It was too dark to tell which buck it was but of course I was convinced it was one of my target bucks. Ill admit... it screwed with my head a bit.
Gun shots started ringing out about 639ish from every direction. Then about 715 I noticed movement cutting down the same spot cruising bucks have been using for 2 weeks. Things happen fast. It doesn't take long to realize he's a shooter. I stand turn to my right. Rest the gun on the tree. The deer just happens to stop at 30 yards and I pull the trigger. He dropped in his tracks but I got hit high. 9x scope at 30 yards I guess I should have held down on him. I had to finish him off with a second shot. If only the guy shooting was as good as the gun. [emoji38].

To my surprise i have no history with this deer. Big thick wide 9pt with split g2. I'll be patiently waiting on the late season to start!

November 19 am
28 degrees
SW wind 10-15 mph
Cloudy

Opening day gun season

Well my archery season wasn't what I had hope for. Damn work got in the way of hunting. The last two days I was hesitant of hunting because of the wind. A steady light wind works for where I wanted to be but not a heavy gusty wind so I stayed out. And I'm glad I did.

I got in stand about 610 or so and slowly got settled in with hundred layers. Before I even got my jacket on I had a buck sneak past me about 30 yards. It was too dark to tell which buck it was but of course I was convinced it was one of my target bucks. Ill admit... it screwed with my head a bit.
Gun shots started ringing out about 639ish from every direction. Then about 715 I noticed movement cutting down the same spot cruising bucks have been using for 2 weeks. Things happen fast. It doesn't take long to realize he's a shooter. I stand turn to my right. Rest the gun on the tree. The deer just happens to stop at 30 yards and I pull the trigger. He dropped in his tracks but I got hit high. 9x scope at 30 yards I guess I should have held down on him. I had to finish him off with a second shot. If only the guy shooting was as good as the gun. [emoji38].

To my surprise i have no history with this deer. Big thick wide 9pt with split g2. I'll be patiently waiting on the late season to start!

IMG_20221119_072240825.jpg

received_456370773273815.jpg

Congrats  very nice 

So just a few observations on deer movement this week...

Tuesday was incredible for deer movement. Not just does but 6 good bucks moving during the daylight. 4 good bucks in the early am and 2 good bucks during the pm. 

Wednesday I only had 1 good buck move during the day (927 am) but the small buck and doe movement was all day long. The busiest my cameras have been all year was during the day on Weds.

Since Wednesday at 10pm... almost totally dead. Very little movement in general.