Hook size for perch?

Certainly depends on a lot of factors; method used, water depth, clarity of water, live bait or artificials (e.g. plastics) used for example. Drop shots or jigging are the most common methods used. If drop shots are used the hooks can either be tied directly to the main line or leader, or a loop can be used to extend a couple inches off the leader or main line with the hook at the end of it. I use setups with both methods and depending on conditions or results I switch off on them. The advantage to using the direct tie method is increased sensitivity, while the loop method tends to have better action of the bait and maybe less feel of the line. I usually tie the first hook up about 18 inches from the bottom (can keep Gobies off too), and the second up about 2 ft or so from that. Depending on conditions I use #4-8 hooks (gold Aberdeen mostly) For the sinker on the bottom I use 1/8th or1/4 oz. tungsten weights at the bottom of the lower hook. The other method involving jigging either bucktail jigs by themself, or small jigs of various weights depending on depth and/or water conditions which determines the weight used. Brown and black jigs have been the most effective over time for me.

Edited by Sk8man

Yep sometimes you have to experiment when they are fussy it can help to go smaller hooks like 8's but then a lot of times the bait is easier to pull off without hook-ups especially with fatheads:smile:

18 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Yep sometimes you have to experiment when they are fussy it can help to go smaller hooks like 8's but then a lot of times the bait is easier to pull off without hook-ups especially with fatheads:smile:

🙂👍I can't wait for spring so we can do some fishing.  It seems so far away!! How do you like to hook fatheads?

Through the lips with the hook point upward Good luck when you do go. I'm hoping for ice fishing maybe this weekend

23 hours ago, Long time fisherman said:

Thanks again Sk8man! 🙂 At 80 im pritty much a fair weather fishermen..🥶 Good luck ice fishing!! 

I guess I can relate as it is a question mark for me as well from year to year at 78:lol:

• Like 1

I use minimite plastic with a maggot on the hook. They imitate small shrimp which are a perch’s favorite food. The hooks are very small.

One of the things to be aware of is that often the larger the hook size the fewer hits when the perch are fussy which is "usually":lol: They also don't seem to like exposed hook points.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Long time fisherman said:

Rolmops, do you use this year round?

I only fish for perch in fall and in early spring. but yes I mostly use these whenever I go after perch. When the perch are out on the flats, the minimites work very good. When I fish in between weed beds or near steep drop offs I just try everything until I find what they like best. Another thing I catch a lot of perch on is the eyes of perch. After you catch one , you kill it, remove the eyes and stick one on a #6 or #8 hook.

You must always make sure that your bait moves around a bit, unless the school is in an open place between weedbeds. Then the perch usually hit the bait on the way down. When you get the first hit, just set the hook, but leave the line in the water and more often than not, some other perch will hit the other hooks

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rolmops said:

I only fish for perch in fall and in early spring. but yes I mostly use these whenever I go after perch. When the perch are out on the flats, the minimites work very good. When I fish in between weed beds or near steep drop offs I just try everything until I find what they like best. Another thing I catch a lot of perch on is the eyes of perch. After you catch one , you kill it, remove the eyes and stick one on a #6 or #8 hook.

You must always make sure that your bait moves around a bit, unless the school is in an open place between weedbeds. Then the perch usually hit the bait on the way down. When you get the first hit, just set the hook, but leave the line in the water and more often than not, some other perch will hit the other hooks

Thank you! Good info! I used to use perch eyes on Swedish pimples jigging for perch when ice fishing but that was 50 years ago and I had forgotten about using them...🤷‍♂️🙂