for sale : usa scam artisr

Interesting because I had two PMs offering to sell me Tekota 600 LC reels after I responded to a legitimate seller (Polesetter) last week.  The two PMs were from Donald3 and Salliep.  I noted that both were recently added to LOU and had no other posts I could see, so I assumed they were scammers and I ignored them.  Sound like I made the right call.  

A lot of these guys will grab pics off the internet and ask for payment even thought they don't have the item in their possession.  What I typically do is ask them for a second photo of the item and ask them to hold a specific item in the field of view - like a can of soda or a dollar bill or some common object.  When doing that I've never been scammed - most times on social media or here if I have requested I'm either blocked or the person goes away.....food for thought.

1 hour ago, AnglingAddict said:

A lot of these guys will grab pics off the internet and ask for payment even thought they don't have the item in their possession.  What I typically do is ask them for a second photo of the item and ask them to hold a specific item in the field of view - like a can of soda or a dollar bill or some common object.  When doing that I've never been scammed - most times on social media or here if I have requested I'm either blocked or the person goes away.....food for thought.

I never thought about that little trick. Thanks!!

4 hours ago, AnglingAddict said:

Still have to aware of Photo Shop'd pictures!  Those types are tricky.

48 minutes ago, Marty59 said:

Still have to aware of Photo Shop'd pictures!  Those types are tricky.

I get it but if you make it hard enough where they have to put extra effort in they usually move along to the next guy....scammers don't really seem to put much work in - at least for something thats a few hundred dollars it seems....content usually to find another easy target...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AnglingAddict said:

I get it but if you make it hard enough where they have to put extra effort in they usually move along to the next guy....scammers don't really seem to put much work in - at least for something thats a few hundred dollars it seems....content usually to find another easy target...

Yup. Got to be careful. One or two posts by someone is not a good sign. I been selling a lot of stuff since I retired from my charter business last fall and had nothing but good transactions from good people. One or two posts is a red flag.

• Like 2