Deans Cove launch conditions.

Figured with nice weather coming and guys being curious as i was  id snap a shot of launch.  I was told plenty of water by friends and failed to check water level which had dropped a lot since beginning February so got a surprise when i hit launch.  Manage to get out but had most of truck in water.  I had 1.6' floating to 2' at rock cut. This was in a 21' willie raptor. This would be at 380.5 or so going off cayuga water chart. FYI

IMG_0768.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep yesterday the launch at the north end had nearly exposed sandbar out from the dock and about a foot of water at the launch.....undoable even for a small boat

I launched their last spring and got stuck on that bar.  Always takes me a minute to figure out why i'm not moving.  A big issue with Deans is with all the drive in and out its mucked up so good silt and muck plugged water intake on honda so people be wary and check your discharge...............seems we can figure out how to install kiosk everywhere but not how to handle 4' water changes.  i was gonna launch at Union Springs but changed mind at last minute. Anyone use Union Springs or Longs point this weekend?

I launched at Deans Cove this AM...Just a warning to check your freshwater intake after you clear the lagoon, as the silt is deep enough to clog the intake. (I had no water coming out of the pilot tube)

I hope they dredge it out sometime.....on a positive note they were there doing measurements for the launch improvements. 

Over the years I've found using the Cayuga inlet buoy water level is a reliable guide.  If at 380 or less depending on the boat, Deans can be pretty tough.  The flip side is when under 381, my 24 foot Wellcraft fits under the bridge at Taughannock.Screenshot_20240227-202138.thumb.png.882260897bf0574d4548427bd8da7378.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Has the water level come up at all over the last two weeks?  Looking to launch at Dean's with a Tracker Targa V-18 sometime this week (possibly Wednesday or Thursday).

Guppy,

It isn't up, and maybe is even down a little, but I launched there Friday with no issues.

A guy with a Ranger "Walleye Boat"  launched right after me, so I'd say he is deeper than your Targa.

Just keep your motor trimmed up until you clear the wall.  

1 minute ago, RodBuster said:

Guppy,

It isn't up, and maybe is even down a little, but I launched there Friday with no issues.

A guy with a Ranger "Walleye Boat"  launched right after me, so I'd say he is deeper than your Targa.

Just keep your motor trimmed up until you clear the wall.  

Thanks for the quick response!