Man , that's a loaded question 

Summer could be 60 ft 

Could be 400 

But generally , depending where you fish there are usually at least some kings off stucture 75 to 200 ft. 

Yu should go by your fishfinder. It will tell you where and how deep they are. It helps to look where the charter boats are fishing. They are on the water every day, so they know where to go.

With a 17 footer you are probably better off to stay fairly close to shore.

Edited by rolmops

On 3/2/2024 at 9:33 AM, fishing fireman said:

I previously posted about evening trout and salmon. what depth would be good to start at as the sun comes up? I'm in a 17,ft tracker. what depth am I looking for in the afternoon? 

When during the season do you plan on targeting them?

• 1 month later...

I'll reply to this for fun, I once asked a charter this same question and he laughed at me, took a couple years to get the joke. Location,time of year,depth, like recent post could be 40 ft could be 400 foot stagers could be caught right at river mouth. Right now they are catching them in 50 foot of water and sometimes less. So for you with a 17 foot boat probably now is the time to get out there because those salmon won't stay in shallow for long this time of year,,,and with a 17 foot boat no way I would go offshore with it but that's just me.

Fish out of Sandy Creek in Hamlin and 90% of the season, you can find plenty of kings without breaking 150' of water.  If you have a port with good structure, kings will be there if the bait is there.  2020, we fished inside of 120' for kings most of the season.  

• Like 1