3 rod brown trout set up

I’ll be fishing solo this spring while my buddy rehabs his shoulder so I’m limited to a 3 rod setup.  I rarely do well with this when fishing alone and am wondering if my lines are spread too far from each other with a planer on each side and one slider off one side a few feet.  I’m wondering if it’s better to run 3 off one side to mimic a school or tighten my spread a little. Any recommendations?

10 minutes ago, greenhornet73 said:

I’ll be fishing solo this spring while my buddy rehabs his shoulder so I’m limited to a 3 rod setup.  I rarely do well with this when fishing alone and am wondering if my lines are spread too far from each other with a planer on each side and one slider off one side a few feet.  I’m wondering if it’s better to run 3 off one side to mimic a school or tighten my spread a little. Any recommendations?

3 rod spread for shoreline browns? Id probably run all flatlines. I ight start the day with a diver and 2 flatlines to see what the fish tell me. However early in the year flatlines are superior.

I like 2 inline boards and 1 rigger with 100’ lead. I always run everything on the shoreline side. I feel it’s easier to watch everything and not be twisting your head around all day. Also, if your fishing shallow you can run your boards in and out around structure with slight variations in depth. If you have one on the other side of the boat it could be in significantly deeper water. That being said, if I don’t know what depth I’m targeting I’ll run a board on each side and a rigger in the middle giving a good range of depths until I figure it out.

When fishing solo, size of boat and how you control/steer your boat is a factor.  Can you lock your wheel? Auto pilot?  A single planner to one side will tend to turn your boat in that direction. 

Thanks for the input guys.  I ran all 3 off of my inshore side yesterday instead of spreading them out and took fish on all of them.  Definitely helps the confidence when I change up a routine  and it works.  

8 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

Thanks for the input guys.  I ran all 3 off of my inshore side yesterday instead of spreading them out and took fish on all of them.  Definitely helps the confidence when I change up a routine  and it works.  

Glad it worked out for you. To start I always run a shallow rigger behind the boat way back, an Inside board with a stick bait an outside board with a stick bait and make adjustments from there according to what the fish tell me. This is when fishing shallow with the boat in 6 to 20 fow.

Edited by spoonfed-1

Spoonfed- that’s the exact program I started with until my rigger leader snapped on a hit.  Seeing that it got hit 4’ down I put my 1 color out with a spoon instead on an 3rd board and got 2 more off that one.

1 hour ago, greenhornet73 said:

Spoonfed- that’s the exact program I started with until my rigger leader snapped on a hit.  Seeing that it got hit 4’ down I put my 1 color out with a spoon instead on an 3rd board and got 2 more off that one.

:yes: