Transducer location?

What you want is undisturbed water flow. The way they sit now there is turbulence of the water coming up from the bottom of the boat.

You should try to get them so that the lower surface is just a bit lower than the bottom of the boat. Looking at the picture, the small one has to come down something like an inch whereas the long  (chirp) one should go down just a bit, like a quarter inch

Edited by rolmops
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rolmops said:

What you want is undisturbed water flow. The way they sit now there is turbulence of the water coming up from the bottom of the boat.

You should try to get them so that the lower surface is just a bit lower than the bottom of the boat. Looking at the picture, the small one has to come down something like an inch whereas the long  (chirp) one should go down maybe half an inch.

Thanks Rolmops! The long transducer is a Mega side Mega down. I thought it has to be lower than the smaller one to avoid interference. Does this make a difference?

13 hours ago, Long time fisherman said:

Thanks Rolmops! The long transducer is a Mega side Mega down. I thought it has to be lower than the smaller one to avoid interference. Does this make a difference?

Distance apart might but up and down should not. Biggest issue would be if they are the same frequency or cone angle. My2cents

Edited by Shakemsam
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TyeeTanic said:

Best to show a photo of the entire back of the transom .... not a side shot. What's important is how close it is to hull features, and trim plates.

I was thinking the same thing.  I'll get a better photo up.  It's a pontoon boat and top speed is 17 mph..Thanks!

I always mount mine where I will get the least turbulence from things sticking down from the bottom. then I mount mine with about 1/4" of the bottom of the transducer sticking down below the bottom of the boat. I also like to tilt the front up slightly to have a smoother water flow over it.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sherman brown said:

I always mount mine where I will get the least turbulence from things sticking down from the bottom. then I mount mine with about 1/4" of the bottom of the transducer sticking down below the bottom of the boat. I also like to tilt the front up slightly to have a smoother water flow over it.

Agreed, that is going to be right in the wake of the ponton tube .... it will create a lot of turbulence in that area.

4 hours ago, rolmops said:

I think that this is a pontoon. Rules may be different

I did lower the smaller one a half inch and tilted the SI-DI-duel spectrum so the back is slightly lower and that lowered it in the front slightly as well...🤞

On 4/9/2024 at 11:30 AM, Long time fisherman said:

20240409_110839.jpg

Hope this helps... Thanks!