new boat floor

When the floor wood gets punky or soft, you have to pull off the carpet and any attachments like seats and doors. The old wood is usually screwed down to the frames. New wood ,3/4 inch is best will last for quite a while, but you can use expensive marine plywood or chemically treated plywood if you wish. Cabela's, West Marine sells the carpet or vinyl flooring and glue. Use the old boards for templates. Have fun.

It's not real hard, or expensive, just be sure to keep the wood dry and off the concrete after it is cut. I replaced floor in my old boat, left pieces on the concrete garage floor, kinda warped a little. Got it in and fitted, just a lot more work that it should have been! :P

Keep in mind that if the floor is soft, it's probably pretty likely that the stringers and transom are or may be soft/rotted as well and this might turn into a much larger job than anticipated.

Ask me how I know :(

Tim

• 1 year later...
I was told to use hem-fur plywood, coat with yard resin (lower cost fiberglass resin) Top with Nautilex. Defender had the best price on my last floor.

not a bad job. Have done a 22' starcraft twice in 25 years.

I've got an 1997 Islander, always stored inside (floor is basically like new). I'd like to put some drain holes in my floor, coat it w/ Nautilex and be able to wash the fish blood,etc off w/ a wash down pump. Can I get the Nautilex to adhere well enough to the factory floor so that I don't get water between the two? Thanks, -Andy