My Float Trip Down the Genesee River 6-14

Fishin With Phil

I had my girlfriend drop me off in the dark at the state fishing spot in Riverton. I launched around 5:00 A.M. and drifted, paddled, and fished 10.5 miles to Red Creek in the canal. Here is a map.

100_2291.jpg

Down in Riverton is a really cool stretch of river. It is not too wide, and the current is swift and creates lots of eddies. These eddies looked fishy, but I didn't get any hits. The current pushed me along between 1 and 2 knots and was a good speed to work some casts. I also drifted live bait. Found a 25' deep hole in one of the bends and trolled against the current for abit but again no bites.

About a mile downriver I got this guy on a minnow.

100_2295.jpg

I decided to try a worm harness. I had to paddle a little faster than the current to keep the blades spinnin. A little downriver I got this guy.

100_2298.jpg

I didn't think he was legal at first. But he measured 16''. Not huge, but I was still excited as he was my first ever legal keeper walleye and I decided to keep him. I worked my harness back upriver the same spot and immediatly got this one.

100_2299.jpg

He was a little bigger at 18''. They fought harder than I expected. That spot did not yield any more so I kept on down the river.

I got this guy ahile later. He was also 16''.

100_2304-1.jpg

Also got some rockbass.

Tried a lot of things but what they wanted was a 3 hook ventilator worm harness with a nightcrawler with a 3oz. bottom bouncer. I paddled just faster than the current when goin downriver, and really slow goin up. Out of the 4 I have caught there only was was on an upstream troll.

Made it to the canal and red creek at 5:00 PM and on the water for 12 hours.

100_2308.jpg

It was a whole lotta fun fishin the river. I saw beavers, otters, birds, wooducks, and walleye. I can't wait to do it again.

100_2311.jpg

100_2314.jpg

Phil

Nice post Phil, as usual, the pics and the story draw me right in, like I was there....thanks. Reminds of a time when I was in Wellsville, and fished the beginnings of the Genesee for trout with a canoe. :yes:

Mark

awesome report phil! Like other said, the way you intersperse pics with your recount really makes your report more like a story that draws the reader in.

Before i moved to NY (where i bought my first "boat") all i fished out of was a canoe and my kayak. it was a bit more work but so satisfying - not to mention there are places one can fish in a small kayak that boat fishers can't reahc!

thanks for the post!

dre

• 1 month later...