cannonball weight

I wanted to know what weight you guys would recomend for deeper trolling this time of yr. I'm looking at purchasing the shark cannonballs . Would you go with 15 or 20# weights. Thanks, Mark.

Wow, I am not sure but 20lb balls are awfull heavy for riggers. My heaveast ball is 12 lbs. and I run down 150 but what do I know.

Shade

In all honesty....if it wasn't for the 20# sharks....we wouldn't have caught nearly as many fish this year! In May we were fishing 150-200 down for Kings. The last two weekends it was the same thing. Riggers down to 185 were steady producers. Especially after the morning bite when the Kings went deep nothing else could get to them. We had a 215 box with 9 fish on Saturday and a 290 on Sunday with 12.

Most of the time a 15lb weight would be just fine, but 20's have their place! When you can run a rigger cable down 200 and its straight down that means less tangles! Make sure your riggers can handle them. Our scottys were fabulous this weekend even in the 4-6's we fished in pulling the 20's.

Love my 20lb sharks, almost no blow back & I can see them on the soanr as deep as 300'. I agree with Yankee to go deep, where the fish are in Mexico bay, you need to have heavy balls! :lol:

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Yesterday I orderd the 15#ers. I wish I would have seen these other posts about the 20's. Im going to be fishing out of cape vincent ,grenadier is. I hope my 15's are enough weight for up there. Ill have to look into 20's for next yr.Anybody have any tips for fishing that area? Never been there. Thanks again, Mark.

If you have Mag 5s they are going to have their hands(motors) full w/ the 15#s at any kind of speed, a Mag 10 w/ any kind of age on it will struggle w/ 15#. From what I have seen w/ my older Mag 10s if you want to run 15# weights you should really have Mag 20 downriggers, then you can go up to 20# if you need to.