Help with Subtroll speed accuracy

Hello fellow fishermen/women,

I've noticed over the past few years that the down speed on my Subtroll seems to be affected when I have a rod set on the same rigger as the probe. I run Black's releases with the 4-5" terminal kit supplied with the probe and my line goes to the release which is between the probe and my ball.

When I have a line attached to the release and the rod is engaged, the probe reads about 0.1-0.3 mph slower than when the probe is "free" and there's no line attached. Certainly there's more blow back with the line attached, but why would this affect "down speed"? Does anyone have any idea why this occurs? Maybe the probe is less accurate with a line engaged and maybe it's being "lifted upward" slightly at an angle whichs affects the speed wheel.....

Thanks very much for any insight people may have,

- Chris

Chris - It's most accurate when the water hits the wheel straight on. Too much blowback will indeed cause unit to tilt & you'll lose accuracy. Make sure you haven't wrapped the the upper swivel so tight that the unit can't swivel vertically.

Another thought (& I'm guessing) is that with the release between the ball & the probe, line may be pushing the rear of the probe sideways just a hair such that the nose partially shields the wheel.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks gentlemen -

I appreciate your great advice and extremely quick feedback. I'm going to try and work on something to avoid the blowback and loosen my tape on the swivel so it can pivot a little better.

Thanks again guys!!!! Good luck on the water,

- Chris

Chris I would also call Duane at Moore and ask him personally. He pretty good at helping you out with those issues. You may ask him if the unit needs adjusting too. How old is the unit may be time for a tune up . I had mine tuned up a few years back, dropped it off in the morning and they had it ready in the afternoon for me :yes: