Cayuga Lake Trout League 2010 season

I am looking to see if anybody would be interested in a fishing league.

What I had in mind is something like this. A team would consist of two boats each week. We use the teams total score (however we decide to score it) towards the end of the year total. If a "team" scores 220 pts. both boats get those points even if one boat catches all the fish. For the first week each team is asigned a number say 1-12 at randem. 1 and 12 are a team 2 and 11, 3 and 10 and so on. It will work the same all year as far as the pairings but after the first week it will be your ranking by points 1 to 12 that sets that weeks teams. So the boats that are not catching fish have a chance and the guys at the top have to stay steady. I just started messing with this idea today but if there's enough interest I'll work at it and get everyone's input. I think it would be a good way to meet people from this site, have a couple pops and talk trolling. :beer: Mark

Glad to see some of the heavy hitters are interested. We will have to let it sit out there a while and see how many others want to give it a shot. It's not really that complicated it's just hard to explain on here when I type with only one finger. The format is ment to bring people together and make a few friends. It also lends it's self well to some serious ball busting, which is all part of it. Let's toss some ideas around for the next week or two and see if we can make this fly, I figure we're all out there anyways why not make it a little more interesting. Mark

My work is unpredictable, sometimes i have 3-4 days off a week, sometimes i work for 30 days strait. I would like to be a part of this. I'm sure a few people have other commitments too. Maybe a month to month thing? Also I would like to see a scoring system that would make it posssable to catch and release. I keep many fish for the grill, But i think for a summerlong league, we should make it possable for a few of these elder fish to make it back. maybe a photo on an agreed scale or ruler. or a length, girth measurement on photo. just some ideas.

Having the time is always an issue, we could come up with a sub list for guys that know in advance that they won't make. And again if one boat on the team scores then both boats score(the guy who no shows should buy the beer the next outing). As far as catch and release, I couldn't agree more. We can work all this out but if a guy wants to cheat to win a "fun" league then that guy is just an idiot. Most of us carry scales and I for one have no problem with the honor system, it's not like we're in government here. Just keep thinking on ways to tweek this thing, we've got all winter to get it nailed down. Mark

Dave, I was thinking just Cayuga when this started only because that's where I keep my boat. However if the majority are open to it we could move around some, maybe start north on Cayuga and work south and even drag over the hill to Seneca for a week. Nothing is written in stone, as a matter of fact I'm still taking notes on the suggestions coming in. I want to make so that the rules are made up by members. A league "for the people by the people" if will. Once the input stops coming in I'll get some what of an outline of rules, fee's and prizes written, put them on here and make changes from there. Mark

I'm in. I think this could be alot of fun. I mainly keep my rig on cayuga in the marina but hey I have been known to drive long distances in search of fish. I think a monetary prize should be figured in, lets keep it affordable w/ maybe a set amount per week for the guys fishing also an end of the season gathering is always fun.

I can donate some time to help if needed.

John

I was thinking along the same lines. A fee in the beginning to use for a party at the end of the of the season and then possibly an opiontional $5 a week for the biggest fish or the smallest legal fish or pick a weight in the morning at randem and see who gets the closest to it. These are all just ideas but it's our league so we'll set it up however we collectively think it would be the most fun. Keep the ideas coming, if you have one share it. Mark

Here's another thought. If we schedule this league in conjuction with the tournaments around the finger lakes we kill two birds with one stone. Not to mention if I'm in a tourney with 100 boats I'm sharing any info I'm coming acrossed with the league members, if I can't win I rather see some one in the group win. Mark

• 2 months later...

Bumping this back up. It sounds like we have enough interest to make this fly. If anyone has any additional input please post it and I'll start putting this together. My plan is to have something down by the first of the year so we can all look it over and tweak it. I know about the pro-am's and should be able to schedule around them. Are there anyother tourney dates out yet? I'm leaning towards once a month from April through October.

• 1 month later...

I would be interested too but don't know about every week end. Gotta finish building the house. If fish every week end or the wife will take the boat and the house in the "big D". ;( Don't like limited to cayuga either seneca is my 1st home. :( just my two cents and bumping this back up. Great idea though.

I also think this a good idea. The catch and release is a great idea especially if it extends to different lakes. My home lake is Canandaigua and i know a few others on the LOU is there's too. Don't know how the this would work unless you could fish from a list of lakes on the days scheduled for the league. Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah if you open this up to seneca lake then I'll be in...I live in between the lakes but am closer to the Geneva launch so I fish that mostly. Maybe best two days per week? Are you going to do a point system? Or measure the fish?

COUNT ME IN!! i like the idea, maybe switch the lakes up here or there? i know the FLTA doees the points scale, but youre way sounds better, and the idea of pictures being used on the elder fish! :yes: good idea! lets have some fun yet preserve our fisheries

i fish seneca every weekend, i mean every weekend, i live on the boat in the spring and summer months, open it to all lakes, on schedueled days, or set it up so we all fish some given date to date, and on such a date, meet at one location....i have no idea how it could work but it might.. :clap:

OK here is what I think will work the best and add a little twist. We call this thing the Cayuga Seneca Cup. We split it into two teams for lake bragging rights. Lets say we end up with 8 boats from each lake, we pick two days out of the month and fish our home lakes. The honor system will be used to combined the heaviest five fish every week. The exception being the last to weeks of the league when we will all fish Seneca and then Cayuga and have a weigh in at both. That makes for the whole we beat you guys on your own lake thing. I'll track the fish weekly for team and individual season ending amounts. At the end of the year using 16 boats as an example at $20 a boat the payout will work like this. The angler that contributes the most to thier teams five fish weekly weight over the season wins $100, that's for the winning and losing team leader. On the winning team the top five in weight are paid 2nd-$50, 3rd-$30, 4th-$20 and 5th-$10. The rest of the team needs to hope the big winner is buying the beers at the last weigh in. I know this different than the way this whole thing started but with everyone's schedules and being spread out over the two lakes I think this works better. Guys won't have to trailer as much and if you can't make a week you have your team to pick up the slack. Let me know what you think and we'll go from there. Mark