Grim Reaper broadheads.

chowder

Im shooting a Martin Firecat Pro with dual cams set at 60 lbs and a carbon express maxima hunter 250 arrow tipped with a 100 grain slick trick.Ive never had my bow chronographed so i cant tell what my speed is.Oh and im using a whisker bisquit arrow rest so im sure im losing a few feet per second.

jay,

you will not be dissapointed! I have turned on a couple guys to them and everyone loves them.

I shoot a 70lb 29inch drenalin with 350 carbon express hunters with fusion vanes, roughly about 400 grains total. Last time i chrono'd my rig it was 292 and busting 80lbs of kinetic energy. I use the 100grain slick trick magnum head. 1 1/8 cutting diameter.

I have never had to broadhead tune with them because you don't have to. I firmly believe if you have to its cause of the bow being out of tune.

I also think you will be not able to use them repeatedly on many animals but the replacement blades are only 11 bucks. But i will say the only time i have had a blade bend is when i spined a doe but again i shot it into pure bone :o

do a google search for meanv archery, great prices and great service and of course quick shipping!

i use the slick trick magnum. I have heard people really like the razor trick and the grizztick too, but no first hand knowledge. I have always wanted to try the razortrick but never can leave old faithfull.

Mine are at the top right of the page.

http://www.slicktrick.net/products.html

Jay,

I believe the xbow tricks or for cross bows and they are 175 grains and do not come in 100 grains, but been wrong before ;);)

• 4 months later...

DSC01908.jpg Can you see where the 2 blade Rage found its mark ??? I will Never shoot anything else. Pass through and this deer went 20 yrds before there was NO blood left.... PUT UM DOWN !!!!

Steve

I'll be shooting the ones you gave me for X-mas come this fall...no more long, painful tracking into darkness or overnite waits, I hope. If it's not a direct vitals hit or it's a single lung shot those big boys can travel forever before "getting sleepy".

• 2 months later...

Well I know that Steve and Keith and many others wil probably disagree with me but I have to say that I will never shoot Rage 2 blades again. First, I am a re learning archer. I started 40 yrs ago and gave it up until three years ago. I also am a bit of a wimp, and only draw 55lbs . My first experience with Rage three years ago was great. It did everything it was supposed to. Massive hole, buck went down within 20 yds (broadside shot). Two yrs. ago, I had some doubts. Hit a doe, shot looked good, and found the arrow but no doe. Searched for her most of the next day. I did, however, take another doe later in that season, but had some lingering doubts. Last season, was the clincher. Hit a nice 8pt. at 22yds. and watched it trot away with the arrow in the shoulder blade. This was a slight quartering away shot and the initial penetration was at a small angle. The rage never penetrated! Thinking back, the doe I lost the previous year also was hit at an small angle. Broadside shots, they work as advertized, but I have zero confidence in them with any other shot. I went back to Muzzy's last season and took two does with no problem. This year, I am experimenting with the Slick Tricks. They seem to fly straight so far.

enjoy the tricks! mine are shooting great and hopefully shawn (fx) will be seeing some antlers from them this fall with a cape attached ;)

but speaking of the rages. You do need some serious kinetic energy to open them. how heavy are your arrows? if you are down around 300grains you are only producing a little over 50lbs of kinetic energy. Not enough to consistently open them or even dream of busting a shoulder blade open. Rage even came out with an under 40lb kinetic energy head for the guys shooting lower poundages due to they did hear this quite a bit.

You can not go wrong with the s.t. You will never have to worry about them and that is why i don't switch.

Well I know that Steve and Keith and many others wil probably disagree with me but I have to say that I will never shoot Rage 2 blades again. First, I am a re learning archer. I started 40 yrs ago and gave it up until three years ago. I also am a bit of a wimp, and only draw 55lbs . My first experience with Rage three years ago was great. It did everything it was supposed to. Massive hole, buck went down within 20 yds (broadside shot). Two yrs. ago, I had some doubts. Hit a doe, shot looked good, and found the arrow but no doe. Searched for her most of the next day. I did, however, take another doe later in that season, but had some lingering doubts. Last season, was the clincher. Hit a nice 8pt. at 22yds. and watched it trot away with the arrow in the shoulder blade. This was a slight quartering away shot and the initial penetration was at a small angle. The rage never penetrated! Thinking back, the doe I lost the previous year also was hit at an small angle. Broadside shots, they work as advertized, but I have zero confidence in them with any other shot. I went back to Muzzy's last season and took two does with no problem. This year, I am experimenting with the Slick Tricks. They seem to fly straight so far.

I wouldn't worry about setting up a new generation upper end bow @ 55lbs for one minute. These new generation bows set @ 55lbs are just flat out deadly. I won a Matthews Drenalin last summer and had it set at 55 (b/c my shoulder is getting cranky), my old Alpine was @ 70 and the speed and energy generated by the Drenalin was mind blowing. Ofcourse shot placement is still key, but I smoked the opposite side shoulder blade on a slightly quartered away doe @ 35 yds and the Rocket aerohead found it's way thru the edge of the bone and out. I've had so many positive experiences w/ this fixed blade that I'll probably stick w/ them. If I try anything new though it will be the 'Slick Tricks'. I'm hearing good, balanced, reports on these broadheads from you guys. A guy I hunt with is going to use them this year. Time will tell. -Andy

I went online yesterday and ordered two packs of the tricks. I will test them head to head against the Rage 2-blade and 3-blade both straight-on and angled entry using two backstops, one to emulate bone and the other flesh. I'll post the results in the next couple week.

I think the energy is there. Shooting 350 grain carbon express,100 grain rage, at the time and 55lb. draw weight. Doesn't matter though. Have heard a lot of good things about the S.T. and will use them.

its there but just not consistent for opening the rage or any open on impact. you are at 370 grains for the cx350 and a 100 grain tip so i factor you at 51 - 55lbs of kinetic energy. More than enough to kill a dear or many other big game animals with a FIXED blade

I just looked at the STs on their site and they look just like the Rockets I've been using for years and I guess I better order some cuz I also looked at my broadhead stash and it's kind of thin. Any pros or cons to choosing between the reg(1") and the mag(1 1/8") in 100 gr? Thanks -Andy

P.S. anybody ever put a pair of ratchet straps around an older compressed black rubber 'Hole' target to tighten up the layers? If I'm closer than 22 yds some arrows are going right thru & many are in past the fletchings.

• 4 weeks later...

So, no solid updates on the broadheads...sorry. I've been hard pressed to even shoot practice lately. The only thing that I can add is an observation that at a high angle of impact the Rage deflects rather than opens. Lost an arrow trying it, too. So, that's an n=1, and I'm not going to try it again. The ST heads shoot fantastic, though. I'm sure that under the appropriate conditions either head would work fine. At great distances or extreme angles I think that I would want the ST on board.

Look on page 2 of this thread and the deer in the picture was taken with the standard 1" slicktrick.I dont think you can go wrong with either one.

I've used the 1" Rockets for years w/ no issues & lots of kills. I got the 1 1/8" STs for this year and they are much easier to put together & I can see they will be easier to replace blades on, etc. Thanks everybody for pointing me towards the STs I really think I'm liking them! -Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that any broad head would have worked equally well from inside of 10 yards, but I used a ST to take a very nice 8 this week and the arrow blew through the chest and buried itself 6" into the ground...the shot was ~60 degree angle, as my stand is 20 ft up. Direct heart shot and the deer went <30 ft. Again, probably any broad head with the correct placement would do the same. Still, better than having to report that I lost a deer because my BH failed.