After market remote throttle control for Kicker

chowder

I've looked back thru old threads and scanned some other forum discussions on this topic & I'm interested in hearing back from people who have installed different types of throttle controls. I've been in a couple boats w/ the Trollmaster II setup which appears to be no longer available which is too bad b/c it seems like a good unit. The other setup I heard about on LOU was the Speed King which is currently available. My kicker will be linked to my outdrive and I've got an AP so steering is not really an issue. It doesn't seem worth it to me to go w/ a factory remote setup on the kicker for what it will cost in controls & installation time but an after market fine adjustment remote throttle control seems like a good idea. I'm pretty sure I'm going w/ the 9.9 Merc Prokicker.Comments?

Do any of you with the Troll Master have the RPMs go up and down with out adjusting the unit. I had one on my last boat and it acted like it was always moving the throttle up and down. I had a servo go also and they sent me a new one but it did the same thing with the new unit. It didn't effect the speed but the sound of the motor going up and down drove me nuts. Sean

Mine will do that occasionally but it really doesn't seem to effect the boat speed. If the R's or speed seem to change (usually slower) I just tap the MFT and all is well. I think that the change in RPM is more to do with the carbureted engine and linkage than the throttle. Same thing happens with a mechanical throttle also. Just my opinion. So far it hasn't been a concern of mine as long as boat speed is consistent and easy to control.

I would imagine that the only way your going to get any better control is to eliminate all the mechanical linkage by going with EFI and electronic throttle.

I had some issues with the Troll Master speed control on a Yamaha 9.9 four stroke. It was caused by the wire harness to the servo being run parallel to other electrical wiring. Mine was directly related to being too close to the spark plug wires under the cowl. Re-routed and now no problem. be sure you have a good electrical source to the control head, one that is not shared by a sonar especially because the pulses will cause an interference with the unit.

Mark