Glow charging

chowder

A couple years ago I got a small flash unit & started using it to charge glow baits. I've found this to be time consuming and I'm not real sure how effectively I'm charging stuff up. Could anybody w/ some serious experience w/ this issue tell me what they do? Thanks, -Andy

Most of the new glow paint or powder contains strontium alluminate, which is activated by UV light. The glow absorbs the UV light, then slowly remits it over time. The best source of UV light comes from the sun( 5-10 min.). We are fishing long before the sun is up & use a 12 volt portable " black light ", which takes about 15 min. to get a full charge, which lasts for hours. Next best is a strong halligen light ( 10 million candle power ), which takes about 20 min. for a full charge. Some of the boys make a glow box, with one light on the bottom, and another attached to the underside of the lid, which is what we use. Simply put your baits in the box prior to leaving the dock, and when you arrive at your destination, your ready to go. The lights we use are a double bullbed, called a twin 10. I also have a twin 6 (6 in.), which is great & fits easily into your tackle bag. These were purchased in the autimotive section at Canadian Tire, for $25- $30. Hope this helps.

From my experience, when the glow is too strong I don't catch as many fish.

But when the glow is down I catch more fish.

This is in the day time. Not sure how that works at night.

Any thoughts? :beer:

I dunno about out in the lake, but pre-spawn migratory fish slammed the spoons that were barely glowing. Fished Olcott piers pretty much every Friday in late Sept and a few days in October at night and did very well throwing casting spoons that were "glow". Never took a hit on spoons that were just flashed/charged. My bud started using an LED flashlight to charge his spoons, and seemed to have better/more consistant results. I wouldn't base any conclusions on this in regards to the lake though, different beast altogether in the fall.

andy i used my sears 19.2 v floresent light . but the hanging light box (lure hanging) lined with foil (or mirrors from your boat cabin cieling) will get all sides without rotating...so when ya get bessie milked and grab your dozen eggs from the coop why dont ya whip up a couple boxes (1 for me) ..biggest problem is more stuff on the boat so make em small and thin only gotta hold a dozen lures or 4 flashers......