Looking to buy a good Prop

REELJERKS

• 17 years later...

when i was shopping i emailed Ken at propgods.  he recommended a prop that he did not even sell and told me amazon would be the best price.  his suggestion was perfect and did exactly what he said it would.  thought that was great of him to give a solution even if it did not benefit his business.  

Sizing props is tricky. Weight of the boat will determine a lot. I have half a dozen Suzuki props out in my shed from trying different one that didn’t work

On 3/20/2024 at 4:57 PM, tyler.woodard04 said:

when i was shopping i emailed Ken at propgods.  he recommended a prop that he did not even sell and told me amazon would be the best price.  his suggestion was perfect and did exactly what he said it would.  thought that was great of him to give a solution even if it did not benefit his business.  

it's good that you found the prop you needed. but for future reference, you should always check on eBay before you buy anything. I haven't bought a new prop in the last 20+ years. I have been buying used props off eBay. I have been paying less than half price for all the props I've bought. I am 72 now and probably won't ever buy another prop as long as I live. but what I've saved on props has helped pay on my fishing trips.

if the prop you have now is just what you want you really should think about getting another one for a spare. just start looking on eBay for what you want. if they don't have it you can save your search and get emails if they get one for sale.

new one was less than $100. know they are straight and true.  not opposed to buying used on some things.  just felt more comfortable with new for that price.  to each their own.  if and when i end up with another boat ill reach out to Ken again if it needs changed.  

If you know the size that you need, I would recommend a Solas prop. Agreed that they are not the greatest, but they do the job well and you probably get the best bang for your buck. I get mine from I-boats, but I'm sure they have other sales points as well.

If you are not sure about the size, then it is probably the best to buy from a place where they will allow you to try different sizes before you buy. Marina service stores often have test props. Yes you will pay more for the specific prop,but they will give you the right advice about what you need. That makes all the difference in the world.

You should be aware that a prop that has been in the water usually is non returnable.

L&M wrote on your thread that he has no comment, So I will comment for him. He is a very knowledgeable source for buying propellers and he will not push the wrong stuff on you.

Edited by rolmops

20 hours ago, tyler.woodard04 said:

new one was less than $100. know they are straight and true.  not opposed to buying used on some things.  just felt more comfortable with new for that price.  to each their own.  if and when i end up with another boat ill reach out to Ken again if it needs changed.  

I understand where you are coming from. but the props I've been buying are 600.00 to 700.00 new and when I can get a like new used one for 250.00 or less I choose used. when I get the prop from eBay I visually check it out then I do the on-water test. if the prop has anything wrong with it or if the description is off then you can get your money refunded. all you need to do is file a dispute for item not as described. I have bought many stainless props off eBay and never had a bad one.

I guess one of my best deals was on a 17p high five prop that I only paid 175.00 shipping included. the same prop new is around 600.00