permit to drive a boat in New York

Just read a post on another message board, that next year everyone is going to be required to take the course and get their permit to drive a boat in New York.

After this weekend at a local lake, I agree 100%, man what a bunch of nuts!

The wife & I took the course at a local collage back in 1992 and I believe it took 3 or 4 evening courses. It was interesting back then as I only had a few years with a real boat

Greg,

where did you see that? This is the first I'm hearing of it.

No matter to me, I took the CGA Safe Boating class back in 1996 before we even took delivery of our first boat, just curious.

Tim

This is good news. I have been advocating this move for years. There are people on our lakes who should not even be operating a rowboat,let alone a power craft capable of high speeds. You can't make people follow the rules if they don't want or care to, but at least they will know what the rules are . And that port is not just a wine. And bow is not something to shoot arrows. This measure should make boating more enjoyable and safer for us all.

omg couldn't agree more and how bout we put something in there for backing up at the launch. I watched a guy at oak orchard back up a 24 foot islander hard top with his buick lesabre for 20 minutes, he said wow first time i ever backed it up. I wish i was there for when he pulled it out and if the tranny was laying on the ramp??? :rofl:

If it's just a 5 min online course it's not going to make too much of a difference. People can read "5 mph", but they still stay on plane.

The only effective course would be an "on the water test" kinda like when you're 16 and going for your driver's license... but what a pain in the butt that would be for those of us who aren't local!

Nick

cant believe im readin what im readin!!!!A,hello takin and passin a test wont solve anything...drive down the thruway on a sunday afternoon...B...ITS JUST A $$$$$$$$ GRAB!!!!!!wont solve any issues with backin up at launches or leavin a wake...again go to any downtown area and watch fools tring to parallel park,or again get on i90 and see who slows down in work zones...sorry folks its just another money grab the the state stole from the canadians...theyve had a boater card for a couple of yrs now...and so long 4 now;john

oiN7A.jpg

omg couldn't agree more and how bout we put something in there for backing up at the launch. I watched a guy at oak orchard back up a 24 foot islander hard top with his buick lesabre for 20 minutes, he said wow first time i ever backed it up. I wish i was there for when he pulled it out and if the tranny was laying on the ramp??? :rofl:

That’s nothing. This past weekend, a guy backed up his boat to the ramp to be taken out of the water. I asked him if it was a new way of taking the boat out of the water, a$$ end first. He said “oops, first time I used a boat†WOW!

As it is, most insurance co will take 10% off the top if you take the course. But who knows what they'll do if it becomes mandatory

most people don't have boat insurance unless it's got a lean on it.

I surely do and my boat has no lean on it. That would be asking for trouble. I'd rather not have insurance on my car. A least my car has brakes to stop. A boat just bobs and weaves.

YAY! More useless feel good legislation! Glad I'm outta this over legislated state for good next year.....good riddance New York, and you can keep your over taxed, over law'd, over big brother'd BS......

Sorry for those of you staying, just another way to grab your money and freedom....wake up people.

As it is, most insurance co will take 10% off the top if you take the course. But who knows what they'll do if it becomes mandatory

you certainly do if you keep it in a slip. The marina usually requires it as part of the lease agreement.

Tim

as it was explained to me 3 years ago when the gears started to move just a basic boating course was what they were looking for .....if ya think about for 2 sec anyone now can buy a 10,000 lb 400 hp boat never being on the water once .....and from what we have seen in past years we all have encountered the newbies...It ant gonna change the idiots but maybe their that way because they never took a course...

I surely do and my boat has no lean on it. That would be asking for trouble. I'd rather not have insurance on my car. A least my car has brakes to stop. A boat just bobs and weaves.

i agree. but alot of people think it wont happen to them.