which lake have trout in it?

I wanted to bring my friend (from california) to trout fishing since he loved to fish for trout.. It is completely new game for me since I never fish for them.. I mean I do occasion caught them. But not targeting them at all.. Now I want to, I'm just curious which lake has it? Hemlock, candice, honeoye lake?

Also, I heard of jigging technique and I'm pretty knowledge about it. But only little tiny problem for me is what's kind of lure I should jigging for trout? I read reports on here. It said 1/2 - 1oz jig is better. So I wondered what's exactly it is? Since there has bass jig or panfish jig. Any info would help me out..

P.s. Any spot at those trout in lake would helpful for me.. Since I don't know where to begin at..

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

you can try a 1/2 oz - 1 oz jig head, just the plain round lead head in pretty much any color. i use a lot of different bodies all plastics in many colors, usually bright colors. ive also tryed bucktail jigs and other artificials but the plastics work the best(in my opinion). ive used large bass tubes and different minnow shaped bodies. the picture shows a very effective jig i use for lake trout.

if your using electronics just mark bait balls or fish and set up right over top of them and let your bait free fall to the bottom, i bounce the bottom several times then real up as fast as i can (about 10-20 ft) then stop and give it a couple hard jigs. thats it ! the hardest part is feeling the bite due to the fact that your lure is down deep and the line tends to carry slack when jigging and falling.

drDkJ.jpg

Yeah, I understand what you mean from slack line.. Hardest part of fishing.. But once someone got used to it then great days are coming to you soon..

Also, I don't have any electronics.. I'm on college budget.. But I wish I have one and making my life more easier to fish..

Anyway, another tiny detail, I wonder what's size are you using for those jigging for trout? I have tons of 4in plastics flukes.. But is that consider fine for fishing on trout?

On Stellwagen Bank when we go jigging for either cod or haddock we only use super braids. Usually with 16 ounce jigs.Even at 300 feet down, the super braids transfer even the slightest bite to your rod tip.

Super braids are very thin which allows you to use a lighter jig.

In my opinion they are the best line for jigging

When it comes to jigging I am 100 percent behind braided line. So many different pros to it. No stretch= you feel everything from light to heavy bites not to mention when you are fighting your fish you feel every thrash they throw at you. Lot more strength in the line. Setting the hook is more effective. Only two cons that I can think of is price and fleas. Braid just attracts fleas for some reason but not so much a problem when jigging.

Yeah, I planning to use braid line for jigging.. I loved it. I always using it for haddocks and cod like you say. Very impressed with it.

Now, I know what's lure to use for trout. Thank you everyone.

Anyway back to point, nobody did answer that question, (which lake does hold the trout in it?) So I wonder if someone can voucher this question?

Thanks again, I'm look forward to post report in this sometime this fall.

Ray k, yeah cape cod hold a lot ponds and lake around.. But I never bother to go after them. Since I wanted big game fish so I hooked after that ever since.. Then when I entered college in NY, I heard there has salmon around here.. I thought it was some of bs stories. Until I found genny river, so I decide give fly fishing a try.. Since I never fly fishing in my whole life. When I caught my first salmon, I was hooked in salmon fever! In same day, I bagged 41 pounds salmon. I thought it was average size after hearing stories in alaska salmons.. Until I realized it was monster size in NY.. I'm looking forward to catch one again.. So it kinda of led me to catching trout for fun. Since they fighting differently and jumping around more than salmons..

Now, my friend who I helped him bagged his first salmon in his lifetime in Pulaski, NY since we went up there for weekend. He was using regular bass fishing equipment so I lend my flyrod to him and explain to him how to use it. somehow when I explain, flyhook was in water, and salmon smacked it! Then run maybe 200 feet away so fast and my friend realized something wrong on flyrod until I saw line was running out, I was put hand on reel to add up more drag pressure, then let him to reel that salmon back in. Now, he hooked up for life. He kept obese about how fast it was and flyhook was right there in less 8 feet away..

He left college because of can't afford the college at last year. However, few days ago, he paged me said that he will come back to NY for college and he want to go after trout. I'm exciting because after he left, I had no fishing buddies to fish with me. Well, I have few people who can fish but long story about it. Make it short, they are assholes about me. So I won't fish with them again.. Anyway, I wanted to bring him to trout fishing when we can. Only thing is that I never trout fish to target them before.

Now you guys explained me how to catch them..

Thanks a lot again!

Anyway back to point, nobody did answer that question, (which lake does hold the trout in it?) So I wonder if someone can voucher this question?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/32371.html

Cold Water Fishing

Featured species in the cold water fisheries of the Finger Lakes include brown trout, rainbow trout, Atlantic salmon, and lake trout. Lake trout is the "bread and butter" species in most of the lakes' coldwater fisheries and may be caught in Skaneateles, Owasco, Cayuga, Seneca, Keuka, Canandaigua, Canadice and Hemlock Lakes. Skaneateles and Keuka Lakes host natural reproducing lake trout. Rainbow trout are very abundant in Skaneateles lake, and also available in Owasco, Cayuga, Seneca, Keuka, Canandaigua, Canadice, and Hemlock Lakes. Although elusive in many of the lake fisheries, they avail themselves to anglers during the spring tributary fishing in Naples Creek, Catharine Creek, Grout Brook, Cayuga Inlet, Owasco Inlet, Cold Brook Stream (Keuka Lake Inlet), and Springwater Creek. Rainbow trout have become naturalized in Cayuga, Skaneateles, Owasco, Seneca, Keuka Hemlock, and Canandaigua Lakes with natural reproduction supplemented by stocking. Brown trout can be found in all the Finger Lakes except Conesus and Honeoye Lakes. Try shore fishing or surface trolling in the spring for browns. Atlantic salmon can be found in Skaneateles, Cayuga, Seneca, Keuka, and Hemlock Lakes

HIH

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom- thank for your post! I really appreciate it! I planning to go hemlock or candice lake.. Since they are closer to rochester area.

Now, I have all info about how to target them now..

One last thing, I know nobody will give up their honey hole but can anyone give me general description where to start fish at? Since I have no electronics to find them.. Or baitfish.. So any advice??

Thanks again!

Mark Jr

If you go to Either Hemlock or Canadice,you are severely limited in the use of outboards. the power limit on those lakes is 9.9HP. This is because it is the water supply for the city of Rochester.

Rolmops-- thanks for let me know about that! But I have i/o motor so is that okay or still cannot into that lake?

Canadice and Hemlock are limited to boats 16 feet in length or less and 10 hp or less. (I think it's 10 hp...could be 15...can't remember)

If you have a bigger boat, Canandaigua, Keuka, Seneca, Cayuga, Owasco, Skaneateles all have trout in them...I know some guys that jig Canandaigua and Keuka and have a good amount of success.....

Aw that's sucked for me, I just bought 20 foot boat. It is pleasure boat.. Kinda of open bow. So I guess I couldn't go either of those.. I guess I have to stick to lake ontario because I'm not gotta drive 80miles or more to canadaigua from rochester.. But once for while, I might able do that..

P.s that's bring me new question, during the ice fishing season, do I need special license to fish at hemlock or canadice lake?