Wire rods?

I am a little new to using wire and was just wondering if anyone could give me any idea what to use for a good wire rod. I don't want to break the bank or anything just looking for a good all around rod. I was told by someone that I should use the rods with the roller guides but I have seen people use regular rods also. Thanks for any info.

http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/dip ... _combo.htm

I just purchased these rods off of ATomMik. Great rod. You do need to buy the Twilly Tips. Easy to install. Another Rod that I like is the OKuma Classic pro GLT 10' Dipsy Rod. It also needs a twilly tip. I stayed clear of the roller rods just because they are mechanical and more expensive. Just a preference though.

Personally we did not like the Eagle Claw Starfire rods; we just got rid of both the 10' we had for wire.

We just switched to a 8' Quantum Affina and so far it has been the best wire rod we have had

What about the Eagle Claws did you not like?

I got the eagle claws and like them but don't love them. I would like to see them a little stiffer and an eye let more closer to the reel. When diver is deployed there is about a 110 degree angle on the wire at the first eye let which is fine but I think its a little to sharp of an angle for my comfort. They are still a great rod and catch fish but I think my next two diver rods are going to be the okuma classic GLT 10' dipsy rod 34.99 at dicks. I got the 8'6" downrigger GLT rods for my downriggers and just love them. Its really just a matter of preference. Diawa, Okuma, Shimano, Eagle Claw and Quantum all make a great rod that will last. I run the 10 footers because my riggers run at a 90 off the side of the boat and I need the wire to clear the riggers. Plus the longer the rod the more leverage you have. Also, better it asorbs the shock. Hope this helps. You really can't make a wrong decision on any of these rods.

Personally we did not like the Eagle Claw Starfire rods; we just got rid of both the 10' we had for wire.

We just switched to a 8' Quantum Affina and so far it has been the best wire rod we have had

WAY too soft, IMO, for a supposed dipsy rod; like the post above a lot of bend before the first eye., the pole just did not have enough backbone, IMO.

We didn't like them for wire, we have a Eagle Claw on our lead and like it.

We have also tried a 8'6" downrigger rod and hated it, used it once and went back to our old shakespeare alpha rod.

WAY too soft, IMO, for a supposed dipsy rod; like the post above a lot of bend before the first eye., the pole just did not have enough backbone, IMO.

We didn't like them for wire, we have a Eagle Claw on our lead and like it.

We have also tried a 8'6" downrigger rod and hated it, used it once and went back to our old shakespeare alpha rod.

Good info to have. I have (6) of the SF-401 rods (8'6") for downriggers and love them. Also have (2) leadcore set-ups using the same rod and couldn't be happier. All personal preferences, no right or wrong when choosing what works best for us. Which rod were you using for the dipsey? Do you remember the model number, by chance?

9ft m/h daiwa wilderness good rods for the money don't think ya can beat em 20 bucks a pop from seller on ebay that goes by the name of bretts place on the bay if i remeber right. good luck.

You DON'T want the wilderness rods. These are a graphite blank, which means they are stiffer and less forgiving. The heartland is a fiberglass/graphite composite, and this is the choice of a lot of people fishing divers on Lake O. Priced at about $40's that's not a bad investment.

Remember; if you are going to use a non-roller rod you need to put a twili tip on it. It's not a big job, just follow the directions that come w/ the tips. http://www.fishingrodstuff.com/twili_tip.html

I have been running 4 wire divers all year without twilli's. These are not to help reduce wear on the top eye. This is to help make the wire exit and enter the tip of the rod with less resistance. Once the wire gets any angle to it there will be some resistance. They are nice however! Just not needed.

LOL thats funny you say that, every fiberglass rod ive owned in the past 25 year has broken at some point! time will tell, O ya i run the mag dipsy's also so theres alittle more drag and they are well bent over at 2.5 and when fish hit em often they stretch out big time noway are they too stiff. also this is what i get from running the twilli's and not running them seeing 2 of my wire rods have them and 2 do not! the one with out the tips after we reel in for the day and remove the dipsy the steel line circle's up and the one's with the tips don't,meaning the line lays out alot straiter and smoother but as far as tip damage ive not noticed any. good day

I've broke alot of glass trolling rods too, my planer board rods for walleye are glass, I've snapped who knows how many over the years but I do like them and I get them replaced under warranty.

Here is a pic of my Shimano TDR's 9 ft med heavy's under full load running 3.0 on top 1.5 setting with spin doc and fly's.

Barely any bend before the first eye but plenty after plenty of bone IMO. I really like these rods. 34.99 each.

MdGCr.jpg