"American Sportfishing Assn: Oppose lead ban"

Matthew

This came from another board. A federal all lead ban on fishing means no more leadcore, downrigger weights made of lead, dipsies which have lead in them, dive bombs, torpedo divers. We would be reduced to fishing with copper only.

August 31, 2010

Oppose the Proposed Federal Ban on Lead in Fishing Tackle - Public Comment Being Accepted

For more information, contact Gordon Robertson, vice president and Government Affairs lead or Alyssa Hausman, ASA Policy Fellow, x244.

The Situation

On August 23, 2010, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was petitioned by the Center for Biological Diversity and four other organizations to ban all lead in fishing tackle under the Toxic Substances Control Act. This includes sinkers, jigs, weighted fly line, and components that contain lead such as brass and ballast in a wide variety of lures, including spinners, stick baits and more.

It is important that industry members send comments now! Let your voice be heard!

On August 27, 2010, the EPA denied the petition for ammunition but maintained the petition to ban lead fishing tackle. Supporters of hunting and the shooting sports have been successful in having ammunition excluded from this ban.

The petition was presented with the aim of reducing bird deaths caused by the ingestion of lead sinkers and jigheads; however, a study conducted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service found that less than one percent of all waterfowl and other birds such as eagles are killed by lead sinker ingestion.

The reasons for opposing the ban are:

The data does not support a federal ban on lead sinkers used for fishing. In general, bird populations, including loons and other waterfowl species, are subject to much more substantial threats such as habitat loss through shoreline development. Any lead restrictions need to be based on sound science that supports the appropriate action for a particular water body or species.

Depending on the alternative metal and current prevailing raw material costs, non-lead fishing tackle products can cost from six to 15 times more than lead products. Non-lead products may not be as available and most do not perform as well. Mandatory transitioning to non-lead fishing tackle would require significant changes from both the industry and anglers.

A federal ban of the use of lead in fishing tackle will have a significant negative impact on recreational anglers and fisheries resources, but a negligible impact on waterfowl populations.

America's 60 million anglers generate over $45 billion in retail sales with a $125 billion impact on the nation's economy creating employment for over one million people.

Industry members are encouraged to support voluntary angler education programs for the use of lead sinkers and should urge state and federal fish and wildlife agencies to do the same.

How You Can Help

The EPA has opened the petition for public comments. Please take the following four simple steps to oppose this ban.

Officially submit your comments opposing this ban using the EPA's comment page at www.regulations.gov. Comments are due by September 15. You can copy and paste the template message below into the official comment form.

Voice your concerns directly to EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson through ASA's Legislative Action Center . This can be done through ASA's Legislative Action Center. Your letter to EPA Administrator Jackson will also be copied to your two Senators and House member.

In addition, we encourage you to turn the comments below into a letter to FAX to Administrator Jackson on your company letterhead. Please include information about your company. Her FAX number is: (202) 501-1450.

Please FAX a copy of the same letter to your Congressional delegation. You can find their FAX numbers by clicking here and entering your zip code.

Comments to Submit to EPA

As a member of the sportfishing industry, I urge the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to dismiss the petition to ban lead in all fishing tackle.

The sweeping petition has many deficiencies including:

Misinformation on sinker use and loss

The actual impact to wild bird populations

The economic impact of higher cost raw materials and that EPA can only regulate the interstate commerce of lead fishing products under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) and not the use or manufacture.

As stewards of our nation's natural resources, the sportfishing industry continues to seek new developments to minimize our environmental impact. In addition, the Sportfishing industry pays some $115 million in federal excise taxes each year for fisheries restoration.

I am concerned that the results sought by the petitioners greatly exaggerate the biological impacts on waterfowl; ignore the significant economic impacts to anglers, the industry and to fisheries management; and underestimate the potential impact of human health hazards when anglers seek to produce their own fishing sinkers.

In short, I find the proposal lacking scientific rigor and common sense, and urge you to reject the petition.

Hi Guys,

Not for nothing, but I am a scientist and I understand the dangers of lead. I think that I speak knowing the latest data to have emerged from the lead paint debacle...much of that data was analyzed right here in Rochester in fact. If you really want to make a decision based upon scientific evidence, then you have to ban lead. It's as simple as that. You can point to other factors, but that's like saying that most people die from old age, so if we can't cure aging, which is the worst source of death, then we shouldn't worry about anything else.

Nope. If it's important, it's important. And I was actually aghast to read that "only" 1% of shorebirds and migratory waterfowl were killed by lead ingestion. Holy cow! If that many are dying, then how many are suffering other significant pathological effects like reduced brood size?

I'm the last one to propose that we give Big Brother any more power over us. But, if we're shooting ourselves in the foot, isn't the time to act now, not when it's too late?

The only point that I remain unclear on is the extent to which things like lead core line contribute to the problem. The ban on lead sinkers was totally justified (and a total pain in the butt, I admit). But larger stuff? I'm not sure whether the problem is actually just disposal. I doubt there's many birds or fish dying from leadcore.

Not many in fact on my boat! Or from wire, or downriggers, etc.. :D

Gator

Yeah, it's all just a bunch of bull.

I doubt there's anything to this whole "lead is bad" craze.

Same goes for PCBs. And mercury. And arsenic.

Let's test your theory. You first. Whatever, right?

everybody has been using lead for huntin and fishin for how long , before i was born , and before my parents was born .. im 34 so man its been around for alittle while now .. so my way is i have lead on my boat tackle box , gun cabnet , huntin camp, so the amount of lead around deer shot , fish caught , ate , steaks cooked and ate , water drunk , and i could go on and on .. why do all the bull about things that have been used before all of us were even on the planet . leave it alone... when its time to go , its to time to go !!!!!

everybody has been using lead for huntin and fishin for how long , before i was born , and before my parents was born .. im 34 so man its been around for alittle while now .. so my way is i have lead on my boat tackle box , gun cabnet , huntin camp, so the amount of lead around deer shot , fish caught , ate , steaks cooked and ate , water drunk , and i could go on and on .. why do all the bull about things that have been used before all of us were even on the planet . leave it alone... when its time to go , its to time to go !!!!!

the money they want to spend on that cause or act in my eyes should go towards different things ...

Two problems with your argument, Jaychuter.

The first is that you suggest the stuff has been around forever...before we were even on the planet. That's a naive view. Yes, lead has existed as long as the world. But not in a concentrated and purified form. Moreover, it's the accumulation of lead in the environment and chronic exposure that's thought to be a problem. Try sleeping, eating and breathing lead, then make the call.

Second, the biggest problem with lead is birth defects. Forget about the fish and game. Let's talk about a kid who might have lived a normal life, but instead was born with a debilitating illness that requires constant care and breaks the bank. It's one thing to say, "when it's time to go, it's time to go". It's another thing entirely to sentence someone else.

Finally, I'll add an interesting take on this subject: I read lots of old issues of Outdoor Life from the 1960s that my granddad gave me. There's a bunch of articles in there from around the time that the use of certain pesticides was being associated with fish and bird kills. The industry reps argued that the pesticides had no role in the kills and that there was no evidence that the cost of using the pesticides outweigh the benefits. Of course, I'm talking about DDT, one of the most well-recognized carcinogens on the planet.

The use of DDT probably saved as many lives from malaria as it killed, so it's use was somewhat justified. How's that compare with lead? Has lead saved many lives lately? Seems like a crime to me to ignore the facts for convenience sake.

Im not telling you i know everything about lead but i am just expressing that i feel like the money that is going to be used to ban something that isnt directly affecting us should be used for something more useful. No one is eating lead fishing products therefore isnt a huge deal. other things that inculde lead like paint and childrens toys i can understand becasue no one wants our children to be affected by the harmful substance.

Im not telling you i know everything about lead but i am just expressing that i feel like the money that is going to be used to ban something that isnt directly affecting us should be used for something more useful. No one is eating lead fishing products therefore isnt a huge deal. other things that inculde lead like paint and childrens toys i can understand becasue no one wants our children to be affected by the harmful substance.
You don't have to eat your fishing lures for lead to build up in the environment and be a problem for your children and grandchildren. Gator is right on this. And I've been buying lead free sinkers for many years and don't see any problem with them.

Dear Gator,

I completely DISAGREE on the your idea that METALLIC LEAD is a danger. LEAD COMPOUNDS ARE THE DANGER....TETRA EHTYL LEAD IN GASOLINE, NOW BANNED! LEAD COMPOUNDS in PAINT now banned. For good reasons!!! Grinding lead or creating lead dust is BANNED for GOOD REASONS!. .....Fishing sinkers & lead in ammunition has propertities and values that are neccessary for excellent performance. Any attempts to BAN them should be met with maximum resistance. The lead ban proposals are nothing but scams from ANTI GUNNERS, Green Peacers, National Audobon lovers, and Federal Tax Lovers. Is that CLEAR enough for you!

JET BOAT BILL

Dear Gator,

I completely DISAGREE on the your idea that METALLIC LEAD is a danger. LEAD COMPOUNDS ARE THE DANGER....TETRA EHTYL LEAD IN GASOLINE, NOW BANNED! LEAD COMPOUNDS in PAINT now banned. For good reasons!!! Grinding lead or creating lead dust is BANNED for GOOD REASONS!. .....Fishing sinkers & lead in ammunition has propertities and values that are neccessary for excellent performance. Any attempts to BAN them should be met with maximum resistance. The lead ban proposals are nothing but scams from ANTI GUNNERS, Green Peacers, National Audobon lovers, and Federal Tax Lovers. Is that CLEAR enough for you!

JET BOAT BILL

Bill,

The guy is a scientist. I would listen to what he is saying. He knows his sh*t.

Hi Jet Boat Bill

Your bias is clear...it's just your science that's a bit fuzzy. Other than your typing in capital letters, do you have any evidence for the "safety" of metallic lead? I will agree with you that organic lead compounds, which can be readily absorbed into the body, cause diverse pathophysiological effects. However, let me point out that ingesting metallic lead is FATAL (see, I can use capitals, too :D )

I'm not part of any movement to ban guns and I don't play the political game. As many on this site can tell you, I'm a diehard hunter and fisherman. But I'm also willing to listen to folks who are trying to save my life, the life of future generations, and our wildlife as well. No doubt there are factions who are delighted to hear us trying to protect our use of lead. It's an untenable position and makes us look like a bunch of gun and rod toting yahoos who can't think past the end of our weapons.

This isn't an attack on anyone in particular, but rather a plea for sanity. If you know lead is bad, why try to defend its use? If you don't know lead is bad, just go to wikipedia and check it out. When you lose lead sinkers, lead gets into the water. Lead in ammunition can potentially contaminate the game you eat. I'd love to be able to defend lead, but in the face of EVIDENCE to the contrary, I can't. To my mind, that means we have to be proactive as a community and regulate ourselves before the antis come in and tell us how it's going to be. I'll fight to defend my right to hunt and fish, but I won't lift a finger to save lead. There are alternatives. All you've got to do is look at non-toxic shot for waterfowl.

As much as I hate "internet controversies", this is not an issue where I'm willing to sit on the sidelines. I've never heard any actual evidence that lead is not harmful (not anecdotal, but based on real scientific studies). In point of fact (and I quote), "there is no known amount of lead that is too small to cause the body harm".

I'm on the Pro Staff for Radical Glow fishing products and received this forwarded email from them which was sent to them by Bass Pro Shops. Please read and voice your strong opinions against this proposal. Thanks, Bob

THIS CAME TO ME AS A VENDER OF BASS PRO.

BASS PRO SHOPS SENT THIS OUT .... VERY IMPORTANT.

There are many threats to the future of fishing, but presently there is a new attack that could be devastating to our sport unless we take immediate and decisive action. There is no time to wait, and that is why I’m contacting you today and asking you to let your voice be heard, before Wednesday September 15.

The Situation:

On August 23, 2010, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was petitioned by The Center for Biological Diversity and four other organizations to ban all lead in fishing tackle under the Toxic Substances Control Act. This includes sinkers, jigs, weighted fly line, and components that contain lead such as brass and ballast in a wide variety of lures, including spinners, stick baits and more.

The petition was presented with the aim of reducing bird deaths caused by the ingestion of lead sinkers and jig heads; however a study conducted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service found that less than one percent of all waterfowl and other birds such as eagles are killed by lead sinker ingestion. In addition to the serious flaws as it relates to the biological impact of lead products in fishing tackle, the petition: 1. Grossly underestimates the economic impact of removing all lead from fishing tackle on the sport fishing industry and the American recreational fishing public. 2. Seriously overstates the availability and practicality of most alternatives to lead. 3. Downplays the health hazards that a ban would have on individuals who would resort to pouring their own lead products because commercially produced products may be banned in interstate commerce.

Please note, the EPA came to the conclusion in 1995 that no regulation of lead in fishing tackle was necessary, and nothing has changed to alter that conclusion.

How you can help:

The EPA has opened the petition for public comments and here are two simple steps to oppose this ban.

1. Officially submit your comments opposing this ban using the EPA’s comment page at www.regulations.gov A sample text can be found at www.keepamericafishing.org.

2. Go to www.keepamericafishing.org CLICK ON SEND LETTER .,., CLICK ON LEAD BAN ARTICAL and enter your zip code at the bottom of the page to voice your concern directly to EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson and your letter also will automatically be copied to your two senators and House member

I urge you, fellow anglers and others in our industry to act today. Let your voice be heard…and thank you on behalf of America’s 60 million anglers, the future of our sport, and the wise conservation of our natural resources.

Sincerely,

John L. Morris

Bass Pro Shop Representative

It is interesting how the average 'sportsman' plays the role of conservation and environmental concern (see windmills) when it suits them....then shifts to environmental sham mode when it also suits them (lead).

It seems many of our simple and innocent fishing and hunting folk are just as agenda driven and political in nature as the evil brood in Albany they often point the finger at....

I do think that the best way to approach the truth is through discussion. After all, we're all in the same boat and I think that we're all working for the greater good. It's just a matter of becoming educated on the subject and not believing everything that you read, particularly on the internet (no offense intended to anyone).

I respect the fact that there are people out there who's opinions differ from mine and I highly encourage debate, if for no other purpose than to bring light to the issue. And I sincerely hope that nobody has any underlying "agenda" other than the fact that, as regards this issue at least, a ban on lead would be a real pain in the posterior for most of us. I know that my fishing arsenal has more lead in it than a nuclear bunker. I don't know what the answer is. All I know is that the most recent studies, some of them run right here in Rochester, highlight just how nasty lead can be.

If the EPA thinks there's no reason to reevaluate the position they've held on this issue since 1995 then they haven't kept current on the literature. And again, I reiterate myself here, if "1% of all waterfowl and eagles are killed by lead ingestion"--which is an acute toxic effect--then you can bet the farm that there's a whole lot more animals out there that are displaying chronic effects of exposure such as a loss of reproductive capacity.

I'll end by saying that I honestly don't know whether the benefits of banning lead in say, leadcore line, outweigh the cons. Banning lead sinkers made lots of sense at the time based on the evidence...some of the other items on the table maybe less so. But that's where we as a community need to step forward and become proactive on this issue. If we adopt the stance that we won't back down even in the face of logic and evidence, then somebody else is going to tell us what we have to do. I realize that the sporting goods industry needs to be intractable in their opposition to a ban on lead. It's part of their business plan. But we as sportsmen have the option of looking at things from a more rationale perspective and deciding ourselves the risks and our willingness to assume them. If you've educated yourself on the subject, bravo. My work here is done.

Tight Lines,

Gator

I've seen several deer,racoons,possums,rabbits,procted hawks,snakes,worms,small birds,dogs cats bears and many other animals laying along the road latly. i wonder how their reproductive rates will be?

yes the romans went nuts from drinking from lead cups and i would like to proctect our earth as much as possable but at what cost...

ban cars too???

:D Yeah, I don't suspect being roadkill is a fast-track to lots of offspring.

I've got to tell you, I know the numbers and I see the data, but you're right: there's a line somewhere between what's reasonable and what's not. I can't say where that line exists. I guess as long as folks are aware that there's an abundance of information out there on the effects of lead then you can't say we made decisions based on ignorance. Regardless of what we personally decide.

• 3 weeks later...

The asbestos industry lobby fought for years to keep using asbestos and they claimed that it did not cause any sickness. They knew that it causes cancer,but it made them a lot of money.

I think that everybody knows about the tobacco industry and the way they claimed that tobacco is harmless while their own scientists already knew about the dangers of smoking. Tobacco made them a lot of money.

Now the lead industry is using the exact same strategy that the asbestos and tobacco industry used before. They have armies of lobbyists and lawyers and hundreds of millions in dollars to convince lead users that there is nothing wrong with lead. Their desire for profit is a lot stronger than their conscience.

Help Fight Unreasonable Bans on Fishing Tackle

From the American Sportfishing Association

http://www.asafishing.org/government/po ... 92910.html

"On Wednesday, September 28, Senator Blanche Lincoln (D-AR) introduced S.3850, which seeks to prevent an overarching federal ban on lead in recreational fishing tackle. If enacted, this ban will have a significant economic impact on the recreational fishing industry. To ensure support for this crucial legislation, please contact your Senators urging them to co-sponsor Senator Lincoln’s bill. It is important that industry members send comments."

How You Can Help

"To ensure support for this crucial legislation, please contact your Senators urging them to co-sponsor Senator Lincoln’s bill. It is important that industry members send comments. Please enter your zip code below, which will direct you a message that you can send to your Senators asking them to support S.3850."

http://www.capwiz.com/asafish/issues/al ... 06&type=CO

Follow the instructions in the link, it is easy.

The amount of lead in the environment from fishing equipment is tiny compared to other sources. The heavy metal emissions from coal fired generating plants is measured in kilotons, thousands of tons per year. And these emissions are one of the most dangerous forms of lead and other heavy metals. Whether or not the fishing equipment is banned isn’t going to make a significant difference to the environment.