Boga Grips

Sea Lion

Hi Gang,

Was looking into the Boga grips and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and what size you['d get...I'm thinking the 30 or heaven forbid...the 60. Looking for your two cents.

Thanks,

Bob

Do a google search on the boga grips and see how many articles you find about the damage they cause to fish. That changed my thoughts on Bogas a couple years ago. I'm not going to comment further becuase I will offend some of the L.O.U community that uses Boga grips.

Pretty interesting thoughts on the use of a Boga on big fish. I have a Cabelas knock off of the device that I used out of my kayak for striper fishing. Nets are too cumbersome in that situation. I put the thing in the boat this year as my kayaking is limited due to a bad shoulder. Back in June I used it to satisfy my curiosity of the weight of the big Atlantic Salmon I caught. I picked up the fish by the lower jaw and weighed it just above the twenty mark. I put it back in the well never giving it another thought.

I took the fish to Larry's in Oswego to get an "official" weight. I put the fish on the hook and it weighed 20.6#. Just as I went to take the fish off it fell to the ground. It's lower jaw was ripped in two. I think I just found the answer to why in this thread and the subsequent google search. The grip puts a lot of stress on the vertebrae and organs of a heavy fish.

So in answer to your question about that jaw being ripped Captain Andy Bliss, I think we know now. ;)

We use the 30 lb Boga grips. Very happy with them and they are accurate in a chop.

My digital bounces all over the place unless it's dead calm out.

They are pricey but well made and will last a lifetime if oiled now and then.

If I remember correctly the 60 lb model is in one lb increments and the 30 is 1/2 lb increments

Glen

I own the 60 lb. and it measures in pound increments. Is quite accurate. I have a 60 lb Rapalla grip hanging in my shed that also gives good weight readings. Doen't use it because the jaw/grips opening distance, although it holds a fish well when applied, is extremely hard to get over a big fish's jaw. Went to the BOGA GRIP with bigger jaw opening for quicker weighing of fish that might be released. Make me an offer on the Rapalla and it could be yours.