Rigger Retrieval Rates

Landshark

Ok Cannon claims to have the fastest in the business at 250 per minute. Although the new Scottys can bring a 20 lb weight up at 260 feet per minute and a 10lb weight at 312 feet per minute. Whats the deal, how can one claim to be the fastest?

http://store.cannondownriggers.com/prod ... num_10_STX

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equi ... iggers.htm

There's some video evidence out there that disproves the Scotty 260fpm claims: http://www.saltpatrol.com/videos

I did the math - a 15 lb weight raised 50' in 12 seconds = 250fpm. And earlier in the video when he raised it 74' in 18 seconds...that comes to 247fpm. It's gotta be slower than that with a 20 lb weight. In fairness, I believe that was a test unit, so the speeds may be off. In any event, Cannon posted that claim years prior to Scotty releasing their new riggers.

As you know, I am affiliated with Cannon. I tested my current Mag 20 DT's the summer I got them and they readily met the 250fpm rating. We never clocked the prototype 2011 DT 10 units we tested this summer, but we all agreed that not only did they appear to pull our 16 lb Troll Rites up faster but they also had a lot more low-end torque than our Mag 20's. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that they exceed their 250fpm rating.

I'm afraid that the only way to truly prove which is fastest is to run a side-by-side comparison of the two riggers, and that'll probably have to wait until each unit becomes readily available as a production model and at that point we'll be in the deep freeze. It'll be interesting to see that test this spring.

Man someone beens watching Myth Busters too much...

Im shure all the test are done under 100% perfect conditions,Wire size ,power output,boat speed..to name a few.

riggers will all run a little different on each boat if ya wanna sit there with a stopwatch and ruler.

Without getting into the small details and misslead folks to think im smarter than a fifth grader,not to mention i cant even spell some of those big words..

But as usual i try to give a example even a construction guy could understand..soooo go out to your car (truck) turn the blower on high turn the key to the "on"" position without starting .......notice blower speed......now start engine hmm the darn thing runs faster....everything from the power charging source to the final rigger wire will effect the speed on every boat in a unperfect world.....even a little re-greasing of the little wheel thingy on the end of the rigger boom can help, not to mention the total ft of wire on the rigger spool...............for derby fishing time can be money,,,but when yer buffy fishing all alone out there it ant too safe to have no high speed cables whipping around yer balls, you might missplace a hook in the exictment.. :o

One final thing: I heard from my guy at Cannon this morning about this and here is his email response:

"When we created all of the marketing materials for the new Cannon riggers (packaging, catalog, web template) the new Scotty’s had not been released. They had one non-working prototype at ICAST, but that was in July when we were already finalizing our catalog. We had no way to substantiate their claims. Now that they are getting some product out, we can get a sample and test it. If we find that their retrieval rate is faster than ours, we will absolutely adjust our website. In addition, we will change the copy in the catalog and the packaging when we do a reprint. We were able to order a new Scotty from the West Coast and as soon as we get it we will test. This is standard procedure for any consumer good."

Definately agreed Tim, but if if I am about to put 2300+ worth of downriggers and I am having trouble making up my mind between two companies. I just want to know fully what I am getting into. If I were buying a new tow vehicle and one is claiming the best fuel mileage period and the other says no we do. Is it not fair as na consumer to find out?