Goodyear Marathons

Misty IV

My trailer is going to need new tires. I have the Goodyear Marathons on now and have been very happy with them. I know they are now made in China and have not been getting very favorable reviews since the change. I was in my boating store this weekend and they have (4) of my size Marathons on the shelf with the Made in USA on the sidewall. I was going to get them, but the sidewall DOT markings say they were made in 3/09. Should I be concerned with the tires being over 2 years old already and using them? I know typically trailer tires last 5 years. Input?

I'll take a look at them, as well. I was also considering the Carlisles that are USA made. Less expensive than the Marathons, too. My boating store has a huge inventory of the Load Star K550 tires, too, at about half the price of the Marathons. The dealer told me they're made in Korea, but are an excellent tire. Sure he was trying to get me to buy a set to lower his inventory on them. My trailer uses the ST175/80R13, load range C.

I know there has been some debate on the longevity of tires and the date coding on the side walls but if the tires are stored in the shop at the dealer I myself would not be to concerned. Marathon tires are probably the the best speed rated tire going. Sustained interstate speeds are the most important factor especially for a 13 inch tire. Carlisle is also a good tire, I have experience with both those Good Year and Carlisle tires. I know Kumho makes good tires, just never tried their trailer tires. I would stay away from the loadstars. Bad wear patterns on two I have had and in short order too! I would not trust the loadstars to handle interstate speeds, in my opinion.

Mark

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I can also comment on the Loadstars. I was replacing a tire on every 600 mile trip to and from the Lake. I changed from 13" bias tires to 14" radials and after four trips they are holding up great. I don't know if my boat was too heavy for the 13" Loadstars or not but it was the sidewalls that failed.

High Bidder