Goodbye ole buddy

I had to say goodbye to an old friend of about 17 years this week. We chalked up a lot of miles together. He wasn’t my 1st mate but just like a fishing buddy, he helped me launch the boat every time. He wasn’t into fishing like me and he actually preferred to stay at the launch/park area, watching others trying to launch, while I went out on the lake for a couple hours. I imagine he saw a lot of antics over the years.

He was well respected as nobody ever bothered him. He always kept his cool and never became overheated as a lot of others did, even on those hot summer days.

That’s not to say we didn’t have issues over the years, but I was always able to mend them. Guess it was a few years back when his problems really became noticeable. At first he developed a little wobble after hitting a pothole on life’s bumpy road, but I managed to straighten him out before it became too serious. Then he was plagued with joint problems which were really bad when they acted up.

Last year his body started showing some serious signs of deteriation and he eventually just didn’t have the stamina nor zip of his youth anymore and really began slowing down. Last month I got him some new wheels just so he could get around better.

Saturday, the writing was on the wall. He developed a major case of flatulence & I don't know the medical terms but guess he just blew some internal gaskets.

So I took that hunk of scrap to the dealer and bought a new truck!

:lol:

Tom B.

(LongLine)

p.s. RIP - ’94 Ranger; 246.5K miles; 3.0L; 21.2 mpg over the last 5,000 miles.

Tom....Good luck with your "new buddy"...i mean truck. Now you have to be extra careful when backing up to your boat trailers hitch ball....no more driving one handed, while wolfing down egg sandwiches and doughnuts on the way to the boat launch.....driving to the next fishing spot with wet ,muddy boots/waders...and definately no korkers.... Rods,tackle boxes,bait buckets,vests etc. in the back .....at least for a month or so !!!!! choo -choo

So what is the new truck?

Obviously my ole Buddy's grandson - An '11 Ranger, but with a tow package. ;)

at least for a month or so !!!!!

Salesman said "go for it" but warranty says don't tow till it has 1,000 mi on it, so next weekend for sure.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

It is too bad the manufacturers and the buying public have left small pickups to die in the market. The Ranger has been around since 1983, just updated. Ford refuses to bring the one they just launched in the rest of the world over here. GM is said to be bringing the new Canyon/Colorado which looks good from the pictures I have seen. Not everyone needs a full size rig to accomplish their tasks.

Used to be a Chevy guy. No more, 469k on my first 1999 Ford and still kickin' on the orig. motor. Gotta love it! Did some calculating a few months back and at 2 bucks a gallon and 10mpg ive spent $90,000 on gas. And its been a while since ive seen $2 on a pump! I hope she lives forever!