Olcott/Wilson 5-28-11 - we finally didn't suck

Dad and I headed out of the harbor this morning in the fog and headed NW out to 150 fow and started a NW troll as I started setting lines. First fish came in 205 fow on the wire diver out 150, coho. From there it was a steady pick on the way out to 300+ in front of wilson. Found a good pocket of fish in 320-350 fow that we worked the rest of the morning.

Ended up with over 20 bites with quite a few shaker kings put back to grow up, ended up with 3 nice coho and 3 teenage kings in the box. Lost a big screamer on the wire diver after the 7th or 8th big cartwheeling jump 100+ yards out. Don't think it was a steelie, perhaps a big atlantic, unless kings are jumping a lot these days.

Fish were high in the water column. Riggers at 45 and 25 (later dropped to 35) took lots of shots on both main line and free sliders but it was tough to keep the free slider fish hooked.

Best spoons were the R&R razors on the riggers and NBK stingray on both the wire diver and 5 color core or 200 copper.

stupid camera was acting up and most of the pics were too blurry to bother posting, but here are a couple that came out ok

coho with R&R razor hanging out of it's mouth

100_3786.jpg

and in keeping with the tradition I started last year:

Now where have we seen THIS before :)

100_3785.jpg

It was nice to go out and not just wash lures for a change.

Back out on Monday.

Tim

I feel your pain about sucking this spring. Had 2 brutal trips myself earlier this month. Glad to see all is right in your fishing world again. Good report.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

huh with scotties ? stupid fish...........the jumper spinner is cool but not in the derby,,,,do ya pop the sliders ? try tighting the main release and let the fish set the hook on the slider its self and then release or wait it out to release its self ...nudder thing look at the main line many times in the spring them skippys hit the spoon and keep heading forward thats why if ya give em a few seconds they panic and pull backwards and down thus releasing the main their selfs....coures a good fishfinder and fishawk helps too!

huh with scotties ? stupid fish...........the jumper spinner is cool but not in the derby,,,,do ya pop the sliders ? try tighting the main release and let the fish set the hook on the slider its self and then release or wait it out to release its self ...nudder thing look at the main line many times in the spring them skippys hit the spoon and keep heading forward thats why if ya give em a few seconds they panic and pull backwards and down thus releasing the main their selfs....coures a good fishfinder and fishawk helps too!

Ray,

most of the dropped slider fish were because the first couple rigger bites were shakers on the main line spoon that didn't pop the release (easily seen with the scotty releases by the way ;) ) so I stopped burying the line in the release to see if that would make it easier for them to release it. Once I started burying the line in the release like I normally do, we had much better hooking success, so call it operator error on my part.

My Raymarine DS600X and Depth Raider work just fine thank you very much :lol::rofl::P

See you next week for prefishing.

Tim