Total Hits: lost count 20

Total Boated: 18

Species Breakdown: All lakers

Hot Lure: Familiar Bite Sushi Fly

Trolling Speed: 2.1-3.0

Down Speed: 1.8-2.5

Boat Depth: 100-120

Lure Depth: 60-80ft

I fished with Tim Thomas (Finders Keepers) and his dad, Jim and had another phenomenal day! We had had a tip that there were kings in the area. So we headed west of Sodus to about 100 fow and set up. We didn't find any salmon, but the lakers were having a family reunion and we were catering their party with Sushi.

We lost count of how many we caught, because there seemed to be constant action. There were very few moments when we had all the rigging in the water at the same time.

The biggest was a 15lb. 7oz. laker that for now is sitting in second place on the LOC leader board. I feel truly lucky to have my name on the board not just once, but twice!!

The weather was getting increasingly nasty, and we were watching it coming at us. There was quite an impressive lightning show towards Rochester. Luck for us the major part of the storm headed NE and missed us. We did the wind gusts from the west and saw about 4 or 5 water spouts to the west and north, and decided to head in.

Sorry, no pictures. both Tim's and my phone got wet and were not functioning.

Another Excellent day on the Big O!

Jim

Ok, here ya go Ray:

Jims157lbLaker.jpg

The last image my phone took before it got sloshed with laker slime water! :P

Top producing rigs:

#1: Mt. Dew Echip w/ Lemon Drop Sushi Fly

#2: Wonderbread Spin Doc w/ Man O War Sushi Fly

#3: Carmel Dolphin Spin Doc w/ Mirage Sushi Fly

#4: NBK Spin Doc w/ Destroyah Sushi Fly

Even after we ran out of bait these rigs were still putting fish in the boat without the "sushi"!! I'm loving the sushi flies!! 8)

Nice fish. If you ever get your phone wet again they say the best way to dry it out is to put it in a bag of uncooked rice overnight and the rice will absorb the moisture.

I was out there (sodus) last night with Yukonstu1 and that was a NASTY front that came through. We had to hi tail it back just in front of the storm. The lightning bolts hitting the lake were scaring the hell out of me. I took some pretty cool video as we were trying to outrun the storm. I did see what looked like one boat about 5 miles west and 3 or so miles offshore of Sodus right about when that storm was hitting. Was that you guys? If so....you are nuts!

Yeah, that was probably us - I'm a trained weather spotter/storm chaser and kept us out of the bear's cage, however the gustnado watrerspouts were all around us and very cool! 8) They were weak though and posed no danger. How did you guys make out - I take it you were fishing closer to port?

Yeah, that was probably us - I'm a trained weather spotter/storm chaser and kept us out of the bear's cage, however the gustnado watrerspouts were all around us and very cool! 8) They were weak though and posed no danger.

Hum :thinking: Very interesting indeed.

Nice fish Jim :yes:

Yeah, that was probably us - I'm a trained weather spotter/storm chaser and kept us out of the bear's cage, however the gustnado watrerspouts were all around us and very cool! 8) They were weak though and posed no danger. How did you guys make out - I take it you were fishing closer to port?

We were more worried about the massive lightning bolts than anything else. We only had lines in for maybe 20 minutes and picked a 4 lb brown. I saw a lot of circulating clouds and big lightning bolts....that was enough to make us pull up and haul ass.

Check out the video I took.

You guys are crazy lucky the sherrif wasnt out... I got pulled over once for going too fast through the channel trying to get in from a storm... And I wasnt even on plane! LoL Some nasty storms so far this year for sure.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Jim, nice fish, hope they make it 'til the end.

Here's a link for a FAQ from the National Weather Service about lightning.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/lightning/lightning_faq.htm#8

I think these are two pertinent questions:

How far can lightning strike?

Almost all lightning will occur within 10 miles of its parent thunderstorm, but it CAN strike much farther than that. Lightning detection equipment has confirmed bolts striking almost 50 miles away, but these are very rare.

I have a boat with a tall mast. How can I protect myself from lightning?

Install a lightning protection system and make sure your insurance covers lightning damage. Lightning tends to strike the tallest object and boats on the open water fit this profile to a tee. Lightning protection systems WILL NOT prevent your boat from being struck, but they can help minimize the damage.

Obviously, we may get caught in a situation that you can not avoid the storm but I'm sure that this is not a situation that many of us will subject our clients or friends to willingly. No fish is worth it.

Hey Andy - I agree with not putting people in danger's way. However, from over 10 years of storm observation and extensive storm structure research/knowledge, lightning that extends from the parent cell (main updraft) can strike far off to the sides and rear of the storm, but rarely if ever in front of the storm. having said that, storms, and particularly lightning, are no joke and my expertise in severe weather make our situation extremely rare. I advise anyone on the water to seek shelter at the first sign of lightning. 8)