Trolling with a fish on - advice needed

Hello all,

With 4 rods in the water, and one of them with a fish on, is it advisable to keep trolling or do I have to wind everything in???

I tried trolling the other day while reeling in a fish and the fish went behind the boat. Ended up cutting the lead on the prop - so I figured it's better to just stop the engine and reel in the other rods - however at the time I only had 2 rods in the water.

Now with 4 rods (got some new rod holders), it will be a mission to have to pull all the other lines out of the water.

What's the trick - do I keep trolling and move the rod with a fish on to the front of the boat?

Sometimes you're better off bumping the speed up a little to get the fish up above your other lines, this helps tire the fish too, which helps you get the fish to the back of your boat to net.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

We have 4 lines out all the time. I've never had a fish tangle any lines up or touch the prob, maybe it's just luck. However when I get the fish in close, I have a general idea on where the line is and I just go to the very side of the boat and real him in that way. We don't change the speed but everyone has their own way of doing things.

Fish on... Slow down when ya got The fish tired...don't rush it to to back of the boat , keep him back away from the other lines until all the wild thrashing is over. If the fish is a king and screaming line off you got time to do stuff with the throttle and other rods just by leaving the rod in the holder and let him peel line for a few hundred feet.

When ya got the fish coming in , predetermine which side of the boat you are going to net on. Then start to move rods away from the side you are netting and give the steering a tweek towards the side you are netting. Not too much just a slight turn to keep the fish on the side you are netting. I prefer a side of boat net job rather than back of boat but that is preference to your particular setup on the boat.

Now if ya got a monster king on and there is little control, it would be best to clear lines and bring up the rigger cables.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I second Skipper, I like to net on the side of the boat also, by moving rods to the back and the other side of the boat from where the fish is coming to. The back of the boat is to congested with my rigger lines and kicker unless the fish is caught on a rigger. No slowing down or pulling lines unless we know its a major then we will pull the lines on that side and slow down just a tad.

If you are only running 4 rods and want to clear out one side of the boat you can just adjust the boat direction and clear the 1 remaining rod on the side youtook the hit on. Unless it's a 600' copper you should have no problem getting it in before a salmon in ready to net.

Personally I don't clear any rods, I may slow down to gain some line on a screamer or help women and my kids gain line on some fish, but I am back almost to trolling speed when I go to net a fish to keep him out of the lines as we move forward. I do try to keep the fish/line directly behind the boat the entire fight, I have even pissed off some guys (if your on here I am sorry...) as I turn towards them to keep my fish straight back, I'm also a back of the boat netter, not off the side, long net handles help.

If a diver takes a hit and my riggers are still in the water I may swing them out from 45* to 90* to give me a little more room at the back of the boat but even that only gives me about 4' with both swung out.

If the riggers go note the depth and get the cable up then the only thing left on that side of the boat is divers that are swung out off the side and board lines that are way out.

Everyone has close calls and some tangles, some fish just like to swim with you as you get them close and then go nuts when they get to your spread. I had one almost get into a 500' copper 75' off the side on my left board line last week, it was hooked just right and just wanted to go that direction all the way in and I couldn't turn any sharper without a mess. We goosed the throddle for a little bit and made an adjustment in our direction while he pulled some drag back out after that he came right to net at the back of the boat.

Now when you are all alone out there with a #25 King on a 10' Wire Dipsy.... All bets are off....!

j

It depends on the experience of your crew. I slow down, move rods around , and usually circle bigger fish. This method will keep you in the productive area and get the fish in quicker. I have drifted a mile away from a great spot before learning this. The other side of the boat will still be running at a reasonable speed and will result in an occasional double. The fish and water conditions will tell you which way to circle.

Okay I made a BIG mistake today.

I had a beast on my line - after 30 mins it was still pulling. I didn't pull my other rods out and slow down the boat.

After 30 mins and the fish starting to get tire, the lure released probably torn through the mouth.

This fish would have definitely paid out money in the Salmon Derby.

I am kicking myself hard, should have just pulled the other rods and driven the boat towards the fish. AGhgghghg :@

Never drive towards the fish, unless you have a very fast reel, especially fly solo. If you do, you're helping him get reduced tension on your line. Best to maintain steady tension on any fish.

Tom B.

(LongLine)