Jigging Cayuga 7/31

After extracting a series of earwigs from the Merc's cooling exhaust port in my little 165 Alumacraft we cruised up to the point just short of AES where I hammered the lakers in 60-70FOW but had trouble explaining the technique to my buddy Fred. Boat control got tough and began to complicate the jigging so we crossed the lake & I got into them again a bit north of Tee Pee point in 70-80FOW. My buddy Fred who has not done a lot of fishing was having a tough time with the baitcasting rigs so I set him up w/ a spinning rod spooled w/ 12lb polypro w/ a 8lb test FC leader. I wasn't to sure how well the spinning rig was going to work for jigging but a few minutes later Fred was able to get a nice 9lb laker to the boat after a couple of really good runs. After a few more lakers , we decided we were hungry & thirsty so we motored up to Kidders and had a great lunch while watching a big Silverton trying to dock during which the first mate fell into the water between the boat and the wharf. Fred bolted down & helped the woman get out from between the piling and the hull. The owners shook it off after tying up & bought Fred a drink so all was well! Kind of an interesting and different day on Cayuga today. Well, brought home some sweet corn and a few fish for the grill so I better fire that baby up! See ya, -Andy

Sounds like a good day....never tried jigging but a couple of guys i work with have had great luck with it. I'm sure I've been entertainment for someone as i learned to drive my boat but two weeks ago I watched a guy launch his boat off the trailer half way down the ramp at long point.....he was in the boat....his wife hit the brakes half way down the ramp and off he shot...one bounce and in the water....across the launch and slammed into the last post on the other side of the launch. I ran to help as quick as i could but he fired it up and took it for a test spin out in lake. Thankfully he came back in one piece...I expected to watch him sink half way out of the launch.

we probably passed you as we were in the area. We broke our EZ steer heading south after passing AES so we ran south and trolled with the wind with the tiller. We did 7 lakers and 3 salmon and pulled out around 10:30, so it was a decent day. Thats not a good situation being in the water between the dock and the boat, good thing you guys were there (at least for the free :beer::D )

Ben

Yo, QT I do think I saw you go by once but we were otherwise engaged cuz, we didn't notice the lack of water till we were well under way.When we did we cut the motor and tied up at a very posh, high end dock while I attempted to figure out what was going on. We were tied up there for a fair spell as I teased those baked earwig bodies out of the port w/ a sewing needle. It's important to have lots of weird stuff on one's boat for use in situations that, in retrospect, seem totally impossible to be prepared for. Anyway, we were so pumped when we got things back going that we were very close to instinctively cracking open a pair of Saranacs at 7:00 am to celebrate our victory over the cooling issue while still tied to the dock, but then figured that if some of the gentry came down for a morning stroll it wouldn't do for a pair of woodchucks to be tied up to their private dock, swilling beer before breakfast!

Funny stories... (from a distance).. not when it's YOU!!

I try to keep boat hooked to trailer til I get mostly in... heard too many stories like that!!

Falling off a dock is ALWAYS entertaining...as long as no one gets hurt!!

Yesterday at work, (fire dept), we get a call, Man uncon in pool with neck injury...

We go flying there, I was driving the Ambo... we were stripping off our non-waterables while enroute...

(phone, wallets, watch...etc)

we had two crews there... sad... Dude tried to do a forward roll into pool to entertain grandkids,

he hit his head on the bottom.

Half of us were in the pool in our stationwear, -collar and boarding him-.. his ex-nurse wife was in there holding head stabilization when we got there..

He was concious but couldn't move anything from the waist down...:no::no::no::(:(

We got done w paperwork and left hosp while they were wheeling him into CAT scan...

Wife said they thought he did indeed break his neck... :(

Chit Happens... so quickly and surprisingly.... ;(

( I caught a nice Laker jigging at Owasco a month or so ago.. )

Andy very interesting story........ Let me know when you want to get out do the jigging thing.. I have 2 sweet baitcasting combos rigged ready to jig... just dont have any 1 ounce jigs or flukes yet.. Have not made it down to BPS yet....

1Dogshy that SUCKS.... I hate calls like that. Especially with the youngins around, Kudos to you and the FD crew on your response and actions...... Be safe. Woody

Andy very interesting story........ Let me know when you want to get out do the jigging thing.. I have 2 sweet baitcasting combos rigged ready to jig... just dont have any 1 ounce jigs or flukes yet.. Have not made it down to BPS yet

Woodmeister I'll shoot you a pm (life is seriously crazy right now!). Don't get the 1Oz jigs they have at BPS! The hooks are not near sharp enough & the hook gap and balance of the jig are just not right! You want the 1oz gamma ball 4/0 black nickel jig from Schuberts & Laketown. Standard plastic is either a white Zoom super fluke or a white BPS/Gander Mtn 'Fat tail'. I C&R'd a nice brown that came in like an old boot on a Gander Mtn black & silver fat tail that looks just like an alewife, and for a while it was all the fish wanted. I also nailed a couple smallies after lunch off Sheldrake on root beer colored flukes. It's best to have a few different plastics w/ you so you can feel like there's something to do when the bite dies off :D -Andy

Nice work Andy! We didn't mark any on the bench between the scout camp and sheldrake, guess we should have inched in just a little more. Next time. We did find some willing takers out over deep water tho.

Kyle