Copper Leader

Reel Doc

So the spin doctor is causing the twist then. Changed the leader after each trip which is probably why no breaks. Is a 20 + foot leader considered the norm & if so what ties to use so the leader can run the rod guides. I've been using a ball swivel that bangs & clangs up the rod....afraid it might let go before the fish lands in the net

Greg

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Sounds like a swivel issue. Atomik has the specific type of swivel you want to run between the leader and the copper; it won't catch in the guides. Check him out online. As for the leader length, we go with 5' so as to maximize the electrical properties of copper. Maybe attractive? More likely just a matter of preference. We've gone as low as 15 lb fluoro, too, but no lower.

Electrical properties of the copper? Have not heard of that before. Is there some thought that some current is generated along the line caused by the friction of it moving in the water? Would like more comments on that and only the 5 foot leader.....sounds short

Greg

the #8 spro power swivel is 50 lb test, yet small enough to slide right through the guides and most level wind openings right onto the reel. i have about 15' leaders on my coppers, not for any "mystical electric charge", but because a longer leader dampens the rise and fall action of the copper as it snakes through the water. It is the erratic action imparted to the lure by this rise and fall as the boats changes speed slightly, on turns etc, that makes both copper and lead core so effective.

Tim

Hey, if Cannon can sell their product based on "positive ion control", then maybe copper line can generate some mystical (I like that, "mystical") force field of electrons that attracts fish. Weren't e-chips all the rage a couple years ago? And they were supposed to send out little electrical impulses, too. Fish certainly can sense these, even if we can't.

Or, it could all be in the rise and fall of the lures, like the expert says :rofl:

Next topic: we've been having a heck of a time the past two weeks keeping them buttoned up on the copper. We'll get a decent rip then gone. Usually we set the drag on the Tekota relatively light, but lately we've tried tightening it up, thinking maybe we're not getting a solid hookset with it so loose. I'm not sure I buy that, though. I know that the salmons' mouths are getting harder this time of year, but I hoped that someone else had experienced, and solved, this issue. BTW, we're running the copper straight down the chute and not off the Otters.

Nobody suggest lengthening the leader, please :D

Hey, if Cannon can sell their product based on "positive ion control", then maybe copper line can generate some mystical (I like that, "mystical") force field of electrons that attracts fish. Weren't e-chips all the rage a couple years ago? And they were supposed to send out little electrical impulses, too. Fish certainly can sense these, even if we can't.

Or, it could all be in the rise and fall of the lures, like the expert says :rofl:

Next topic: we've been having a heck of a time the past two weeks keeping them buttoned up on the copper. We'll get a decent rip then gone. Usually we set the drag on the Tekota relatively light, but lately we've tried tightening it up, thinking maybe we're not getting a solid hookset with it so loose. I'm not sure I buy that, though. I know that the salmons' mouths are getting harder this time of year, but I hoped that someone else had experienced, and solved, this issue. BTW, we're running the copper straight down the chute and not off the Otters.

Nobody suggest lengthening the leader, please :D

Hey now, I'm not an expert, nor do I play one on TV :lol::P

I think e-chips are a marketing tool as well. I have a lot of pro troll flashers, both the old style that used to lose the e-chips all the time because they were just glued into a depression in the flasher body and the new style with the chip holder, and the pro trolls that no longer have the chip on them catch just as many fish as the ones that still do. I think it is the action of the flasher that is the attraction.

Tim

So now the question changes to leader length.......you fellas have narrowed it down to between 5 & 40 feet. Hmmm. When I purchased the setup from ATomik last year it had about 25 feet of leader....looked to be 20-30 lb test. Most of you seem nervous below 20. What are you using for leaders on rigger & planer rods.

Greg

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 1 month later...