Trailer hitch law

I just did a search on the net and found this.

"A driver has to be doing some thing really wrong, or acting really belligerent towards the officer to get written for this. The law has absolutly nothing to do with the hitch sticking out past the bumper! It has all to do with restricting the officers view of the license plate."

I got a ticket for the trailer ball on my bumper - the ticket was for an obstructed plate. The deputy was cutting me a little slack instead of a speeding ticket - sort of an "on-the-spot plea bargain". The fine for obstructed plate is anything the judge wants to set it at between $25 and $200, so this is what you'd call a "revenue infraction". Makes a great substitute for moving violation, and the municipalities love these because they can collect extra revenue. On the plus side, it is not a moving violation and therefore, no points on your license. I asked the deputy if I need to take the ball off my bumper and he told me that he wouldn't because it leaves a readily available "reduction" option in place for the next cop who stops you. Cops like to have "options" just as much as everyone else does..

Generally this only applies to the bumper-mount trailer balls, not a hitch in a receiver. The receiver-types are generally at or below the bottom of the bumper, so don't provide any obstruction of the license plate.

The ones I like are the people with a dog in their lap and hanging out the drivers window. How do you drive with the dog all over the steering wheel and dash???

And talking on there cell phn all at the same time. :(

yeah... as someone who is familiar with law enforcement... lemme say that if your getting a ticket for an obstructed plate or view because of a trailer hitch or air freshner, theres a 99% chance you got pulled over for speeding or talking on the phone, but the cop decided to be nice and cut you a break... An obstructed view or plate is a non-moving violation... Usually the fine is less than a speeding ticket, and also, you dont get points against your license.