copper and leadcore

Hello all,

i just began trollling the flx a year ago and started lake O last month. I recently got a wire set up for dipseys and flasher flies and i also have one rod and reel for lead core which i have caught several on.

is copper basically a fancy version of lead core or is there a significant difference between how it functions/works.

i was thinking i would be "good to go" with 2 riggers, 2 wires, and 2 lead core. part of me is hoping i don't also "need" copper.

any info would be appreciated.

best,

dre

Copper achieves a greater depth with less line out. You can also fish a 600' copper that gets you down 115 - 120'. I just purchased a 300' copper rig and love it after 1 trip using it. The reels are expensive for copper but you only live once so you might as well spend because you can't take it with you.

0.37" or 45lb copper sinks 20 feet every 100ft of line out at 2.0 to 2.5 down speed. I have a 600ft and a 300ft setup both on Penn reels. It's a killer when you get a fish and a PITA to run at times. Charters joke and call it a client killer. But hey bottom line it catches fish.

Dre, I fish the big lake often with Steve (ssfran) you should come out with us sometime and I would be happy to show you how we run it. Talk to you later.

A 47LC will not do the job for Kings unless you are fishing them in the top 30 fow (and are a very lucky angler to boot). Your looking at about 150 ft. of our .037 copper with very minimal backing, maybe 100 yds. of something very thin like 30# PP or 20# Big Game mono. These are the only copper loaded 47's I have ever done up, actually had Ernie L. laugh at me one day a few years back as he watched me spooling up just this outfit. His comment: and I quote "What do you think your gonna do with that???? lol

Tom