Coyote with a 22?

fisherman21

itll work, but u better aim between the eyes or ull be tracking a wounded dog.12 guage with buckshot.....better yet i use a .410 with buckshot...nice tight pattern, the .410 slugs are pretty effective too, but make shure to know where ur throwing ur lead first get a big peice of cardboard and try it at different ranges with different loads......nothing worse than knowing u were aiming right on em and spraying lead over their backs....they duck and run and there goes ur hunt...move on to the next woodlot!

22's are great for head shots especially hunting at night were you are aiming for the eyes. I love the quikshots made by CCI. I think they are called Stinger Segmentals now or something like that. They get the job done.

I live in area where I can't use a rifle during deer season so I'm forced to use a rim fire. Personally, depending on the landscape whether is going short quick shots or open fields were you can observe them approaching I will choose my gun. I like the 12g with 3in Hevi shot Coyote rounds. They are expensive but with the right choke, I forget the brand, I can reach out 70 yards effectively on a coyote. I like using my 223 AR for my open areas or longer shots. The 22 only comes out when its deer season or I'm hunting near homes at night and don't want to wake anyone up. When I take others out, one has a shotgun and the other has a rifle. The guy with the shotgun usually gets the kill ;) Hope this helps

I shot 3 yotes during archery with a 22 one got away in the corn the others went 40-50 yards and piles up, not the biggest caliber but well placed shot it def takes them out. The reason I used it was for the low impact, the 7mm-08 isn't as stealthy ;) Most likely they will run a distance unless you head shoot them.

IMHO yotes have a tremendous survival instinct which tends to make the 22lr a poor choice for anything other than head shots under 50 yds.( I have eviscerated several dogs w/ 80-120 yard .270 shots and have tracked them for 50-80 yards.) For short range I really think you are much further ahead w/ the 3" Hevishot /Carlson dead yote choke combo.My boys have taken dogs out to 54yds w/ this setup. I have started packing an auto loader which patterns nicely using a IC choke and 00 buck in addition to my long range predator rifle setup (22-250) for use in very short range situations(15-20 yds)-Andy

I have to agree with chowder! I've killed fox with head shots out to 100 yards very effectively but its a short range gun and I strongly suggest head shots if you can manange it. Coyotes can be difficult to put down so 50 yards head shots should put them down every time but if a 22 is all you got to work with then be my guess to take a little longer shots. You can't get them if you don't shoot :P Again I highly recommend the CCI Stinger or the Stinger Segmental rounds. They are much hotter round and you can get a little more distance out of them but they go for $60 to $70 a brink but they last a long time if you just use it for hunting. I usually buy a couple of brinks of the Remington thunderbolts for plicking and just having fun.

Carlson dead yote choke tube paired with the hevi shot is what I use ;) I have the Rem 1187 26" vented barrel. Its really is a mean setup!

Be safe and Good Luck!