Wire, you opinions?

Mower

I am starting to got through the gear for this year. I am seriously considering switching to 20lbs wire vs 30 for the added depth. I have run malin wire for the past 3 years and have had zero complaints. What is your choice of the wire manufactures we have now? I am leaning towards a camo wire. Your thoughts appreciated. I have heard good things about torpedo and bloodrun.

I run Malin wire too and never had any problems. I like the smoke color but have run silver also and have noticed little to no difference. 20# wire is good stuff and will get you more depth. I have used it on other boats and never had any problems. You will not have a problem with the 20# because you have used wire for several years and know how to run it. I would not recommend it to someone with no experence with wire.

John, are you running Mag divers? I'd use them before I went to 20lb wire. On LO the 20 would probably be fine but in a typical Cayuga Jul/Aug the fleas might drive you nuts and I don't think you'd gain anything that Mags wouldn't do for you anyway. -Andy

Andy, yes I'm running mags on my deep divers and standard size on my shallow divers. You how things are in the winter, you start considering options to your normal spread to increase catch rate. I made some major changes last year to my conventional program and it paid off. I have a few ideas for this year as well, just wanted to get others thoughts.

Do you have a preference on wire brand or type? I am thinking of switching to camo line from the bright stainless for a little more stealth.

John..We've used both with absolutely no problems.As Shawn said,the 20# does load up w fleas. The 30# is lots more forgiving and pigtails are less of a problem.We haven't been out much the last few seasons but our catch rate was bout equal whether we ran 20 or 30.Used to order from McMaster Carr.... Couldn't beat their price.They only will sell in a max of 500' now.Best price put there was the Malin in the 10000' spool.Take care ..... Zek & Cyn

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Andy, yes I'm running mags on my deep divers and standard size on my shallow divers. You how things are in the winter, you start considering options to your normal spread to increase catch rate. I made some major changes last year to my conventional program and it paid off. I have a few ideas for this year as well, just wanted to get others thoughts.

Do you have a preference on wire brand or type? I am thinking of switching to camo line from the bright stainless for a little more stealth.

I usually run only 1 set of Mag divers to start the day, 1 high & 1 low cuz I like to be able to turn around sharp when I'm trying to get on the fish and the Mags drop sharp & stay away from the rigger lines. If wire heats up on the FLX I've started tossing a 2cd set of the 107s in high or if things are heading into a spoon bite I'll put in a pair of hi/lo 20lb wire slide divers in w/ spoons (since I fish mostly w/ my kids I don't run 2 sets of divers on LO). Anyway, point is I can't say I see any significant difference between running Malin, Smoke Torpedo, or AFW camo at the same time. It seems to me that when fish want wire -it all works, and when they don't -none of it does. Having said that I guess I do have more wire reels spooled w/ the AFW camo.

AFW 30# camo is .012" in diameter. Their 20# camo is .011". By comparison, their 30# bright is .015". We've been running 30# AFW camo for years because it's more forgiving, has a higher tensile strength, and we can get it just as deep as we can with the 20#.

We ran 20 on oneside and 30 on the other when we first got into wire. Caught more and more hits on the 30# than the 20. Swapped sides , lures etc. :wondering: Harmonics maybe?? But thats what we had on my boat.