OKUMA REELS

I am looking in to possably buying some Okuma Convector reels. Any one have any experience with this reel? Im thinking they are right in my price range since im buying 4-6 of them, and they look alot more durable then the magda pro's that i have now! Im planning on using them for planner boards and downrigger's so would the 30's be good enough? Any help would be great!! And if you happen to have any let me know ;) .

Thanks Matt

-Jakey Baby-

Matt,

I upgraded 4 of my Magda's to Convectors over the winter, they do seem more durable. I broke a brand new Magda last year, and don't wish for that to happen again. Although my collection of 20 or so Magda's have about a million miles on them from previous charter use, all but 1 or 2 of them still work great.

I've been running the Convector 30's for 5 seasons now. Really like them, and they have held up

really well. Only complaint, which really isn't much of one, is I find the "clicker" to be a bit

loud.

John

My opinion is the convectors are one of the best reels you can buy for the everyday fisherman. They take a beating and hold up to Kings very well. They can be serviced. Okuma's line counters work well but not the best out there. I started with the magna pros as well still have a few and cant wait to retire them. They are ok to start with on a tight budget and get you out there but really suggest save your money and buy the convectors. The convectors have a way better drag system over the magna pros and comparable to higher end reels. I'm not a fan of Diawa reels :no: but that is more of a preference and they are that in between price that you may be looking for. Just a suggestion.

Now if your looking for high end reels then I suggest the Shimano's Tekota reels. They are pricey but they will last you a life time if maintained properly. Their drags are out of this world and the line counters don't miss a beat. :yes: Only problem is they are twice the price as the convectors.

Now for size I like have a mix of 30's and 45's. This time of year I run 20lb test with a fluro leader. 30's are perfect for 20lbs test but as soon as the fleas start up I like the 45s paired with 30lb test. I tend to run the 45s on my riggers anyways. Both work great though. As mentioned above Brettsplace on ebay probably has the best prices around for Okuma reels.

Didn't know if you guys were interested or not as the 20 series convectors are probably a bit small for lake ontario but Okuma is coming out with a new 20 series reel sometime around September. The rep. was at the LOTSA event in Lockport and the reels are Sweet!! 2 of them will be heading my way shortly after they come out. :yes:

Tom

I will say out front that I work closely with Okuma. That being said, I refuse to use anything that is sub-par in any way. Okuma reels are incredible in many ways. I am astounded at the amount of fish we have boated on a single set of drag washers. I do not have any experience with magdas , as that is an economy reel. The Convectors are very durable, and have great features. Don't discount that little 20D, great drag and it will hold a ton of 15lb. Great planer board rod, and when matched with their 7 1/2 ML Blue Diamond rod is absolutely perfect for BTs and Coho, and will manage the odd King.

As for top-of- the-line reels, I would put the Okuma Catalinas against anything out there for our fishery. Worth the extra dollars for hardcore use.

Matt,

We have talked, so as you know I upgrade everything last year to Okuma. Im now running Okuma Convectors paired up with Okuma Classic Pro GLT rods for everything (planer board, downrigger, leadcore, copper, and wire set ups). One year in and im as happy as i was on day one. Customers and fishing friends who have fished with me since the upgrade have loved the new combos. Daiwa has dominated the great lakes market since the beginning of time, so most people know Daiwa products. I have found most people have never fished Okuma but i can tell you that people are missing out. Convectors are a great product and Im sure at some point it will result in a upgrade to Catalinas.

Thanks for all the input!!! I am Def. going to give them a try with all this positive feebback from you guys that are on the water using this stuff more than i am!! I know they will outperform the magda's!!

Thanks Matt,

-Jakey Baby-

Use 30's for wire. I run a 1000' of 30lb on mine. Lenght can be more of a preference but most run 10' rods. 10' lets you lay your rods flat off the boat and clear the riggers. Also, gives you the backbone you need with the resistance of wire, dipsy and flasher fly. I like the Eagle starfire rods with a twilly tip. You don't need twilly tips if you use a roller rod.

That'll work, I've got a 10' Cabela's dipsy rod, Okuma 30D and 1000' of 7 strand Torpedo wire I can throw together - I just need to add a twilly tip.

The dilemma now is what to do with a 7' 1101 ugly stick and 300 yards of 50lb power pro I just picked up. I'm stuck between adding another 30D to get a braid dipsy rod or a 45D so we can run lead down the chute. I could do a full core or split it and add tordeo divers to increase the depth when needed.

I Just put my order in for 6 new Convectors!!! Cant wait to get them and put them to work!! :beer: Thanks again Mortigan for that site thats a pretty good deal! I also bought a 3000yrd spool of the green low vis suffix line...... Any thought as far as that stuff goes? Never used it but for 30 bucks i figured i would give it a shot!

Matt

-Jakey Baby-

Okuma's all the way! The convector 30's are great for the riggers and the 45's and the 55 are great for copper and leadcore. The clickers do fail at times but not to bad. The price is right and the drags work very well. Im just about all switched over. I agree with legacy, the classic pro GLT rods pair up nicely.

Haven't tried the Sufix personally so let me know what you think. I'm trying 12lb P-Line CXX this season on a pair of Penn 209s, Charlie's got 15lb Trilene Big Game on his Okuma Magdas and I think we're using 8lb Stren for leaders and cheaters.

Sounds like it was kind of rough this morning. We should be out tomorrow am.

I can surely say I have been using Okuma reels for a good 10 years now and I have over 40 Okuma set ups. 6 Catalina and 3 Titus reels and all the rest Convectors 20's, 30's, 45's and 55's. All I use is Okuma rods and reels and they work flawlessly. I change out clickers once and a while but I thats about it. Okuma will also stand by their products and if you need work done or a replacement they are there for you no questions asked. I am all Okuma all the way!!