Mono-Fluro ??

Which is breaking? Where is it breaking? At the splice? lure? If the knots are good then something's wrong with the line. If right at the lure, could be getting cut by the fish's teeth. If someplace else the line needs replacing. How old is the line? Any line that leaves a white powder on my fingers is history - fast. Don't assume that the line you bought from the store last week is fresh line. (It may have been sitting in a store window for a couple years.) Do you snug your knots wet?

Most monos/fluros dry out quickly, especially if stored in the sunlight or in a hot covered boat or side porch.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

All good things to look at. I assumed it was line getting a little old. The lures were breaking at the end of the line, so it could be the teeth. Seemed the fluro was breaking as well, and that's all new. Going to replace it all this weekend. Thanks for the info.

What brand of Floro? I stick with Seagar. I tried P-line, Ande and others and went back to the Seagar. It is the toughest floro in my opinion. I Run 15 and 20 lb. leaders for kings (rigger rods with spoons). I make the switch in early August to 20 lb. For dipseys, I run 30 lb on spoons and 50 on flasher/fly rigs.

I run P-Line Fluoroclear for my dipsy leaders and love it. It's held up beautifully. Seaguar is another fantastic fluorocarbon...spendy but worth it. Now Vanish is another story....my experiece with it was bad and I'll never run it again.

Why are you running leaders on your mono rigger rods for kings? I run straight 30# Big Game right to the lure. No leaders for kings on my boat.....browns in shallow water are another story. I personally don't think you need it when fishing for Kings. In my opinion it's just another thing that can fail.

Dear HJ,

Use ONLY a Palomar knot with flurocarbon leader or line in our cold water fishery. Impact strength of fluro is dramactically reduced when using excellent knots (for mono) like an improved clinch knot. Fluro also has less stretch (elasticity) then monofilament which is made from nylon. The use of fluro leaders will increase your strikes on the slow fishing days. The Charter Captains went to fluro more then 10 years ago. Fishing in gin clear water dramactically lowers the catch rate. These salmonids have excellent eye sight!

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

We run 30# Ande Green with 15# Seagur flouro line as leader, about 6-7 feet. We use the 15# Seagur for our sliders as well. Both lines hold up well and we have very few break offs even with big fish. Cabellas swivels are a plus for us as well.

Bruce